Skip to main content

enabling sprint cadence with creastive designers

Last post 06:00 pm January 12, 2021 by Abhishek Kumar Malhotra
3 replies
02:53 pm December 28, 2017

Hi 

Can anyone please provide me some assistance in supporting my designers who are part of the scrum team to align with the 2 week cadence,

I am struggling with the need for designers, who are unable to commit to time / story points as designing requires such a variation of creativity and is somewhat a milestone event in terms of the teams ability to work as a team and in a delivery cadence

07:20 pm December 30, 2017

Product Backlog refinement ought to include enough design to allow each item to be understood and estimated.

04:13 pm January 2, 2018

I am struggling with the need for designers, who are unable to commit to time / story points 

Sometimes the concept of story points is another hurdle that affects transformation and adoption.

I have had success explaining things the following way.

There is a vast amount of scientific proof that shows people can effectively categorize items in no more than 5 categories.   Think of a survey question where you ranked your response from 1 to 5, and how that was different from a similar question asking you to rank your response from 1 to 10.   How do you differentiate what is a 6 in comparison to a 7?

Story points work in a similar fashion, in that teams will most likely self-restrict their estimates into a band of 5 values (1-2-3-5-8, or 2-3-5-8-13, or 3-5-8-13-21, etc.).   Try to explain that what they're doing is simply placing items in one of 5 boxes, from extra-small to X-large.   Also, advise them that they are only estimates, which are guesses based on the current information at hand, and are subject to change based on additional information gained all the way up until sprint planning.

Then, engage them in a quick exercise to simply place design items in one of 5 categories (x-small, small, medium, large, X-Large).   As the team executes several sprints, have them revisit past estimates for consistency and accuracy, and adjust as needed.

Good luck!

12:31 pm January 12, 2021

Thanks Timothy

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.