Skip to main content

Agile and documentation

Last post 05:13 pm September 20, 2019 by Sai M
4 replies
09:56 pm January 3, 2018

Hi everyone

So- one of the items in the 'Agile Manifesto' is working software over comprehensive documentation.

I'm interested to understand how much documentation is needed. Great article here ( https://techbeacon.com/why-agile-teams-should-care-about-documentation)   about documentation as part of the development process rather than laborious requirements documents that change by the time their finished. I've even read that the main documentation for Agile should be test/acceptance documents.

Can someone confirm to me what level of documentation we should have? I'm thinking:

- Basic architecture documents

- Simple explanation of how the system works

- Test documents

01:39 am January 4, 2018

Think of the documentation which is needed to support the current increment so that it is usable. If any more than that were to be produced, would it be to any advantage or would it be waste?

07:06 pm December 27, 2018

I think this is one of the most common misconceptions. We value documentation in Agile, but we just value more Working Software. It does not mean we should not document.

I highly recommend you watch one of my videos that covers this in detail.

01:11 am December 29, 2018

Jason Pearce, your documentation efforts should focus on what is needed and adds value to the customer. For example if you develop a software and it is wise to add documentation that answers users most FAQ therefore reducing the Total cost of ownership (TCO) it is an important piece and ideally should be included in the Acceptance criteria of that PBI !

Similarly your suggestion of Test Documents could usually be key documentation for companies and products that need to meet certain audit requirements. Since this is required by law/policy, it should be deemed important and considered in Definition of Done or Acceptance Criteria as it fits. If not you are adding technical debt by not doing what is mandatory and accruing future work.

07:59 am September 20, 2019

Where i can download a simple project document that show all the details..

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.