Skip to main content

The purpose of a project burndown chart is to ?

Last post 01:35 pm January 5, 2018 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
07:37 am January 4, 2018

I was preparing to understand different chart/metrics in Scrum. In which I came to a question on project burndown. 

The purpose of a project burndown chart is to ?

Options: 

A. Identify and communicate upcoming milestones

B. Display the level of effort and resources utilized

C. Identify dependencies between sprints or iterations

D. Display the remaining work across time

I believe correct answer is A. Identify and communicate upcoming milestones, however the mock test refers correct answer as D. Display the remaining work across time

These seems to be contradicting as Project Burndown and Sprint Burndown can be two different charts which can be used to predict the future. please help me understand this. 

Thanks,

08:09 pm January 4, 2018

Burndown charts are used to display completion progress in both scope (i.e. - story points) across the y-axis, and time (i.e. - weeks, months, sprints) across the x-axis.

Therefore, since a burndown chart is a representation of scope completed and scope remaining across a time period, the only applicable answer from the four options given is D.

07:16 am January 5, 2018

Although I'll add, that I've heard of Sprint Burndowns, Release Burndowns and (thanks to JIRA) Epic Burndowns. This is the first time I've heard the term "Project Burndown".

08:26 am January 5, 2018

I cam across this term is because I am planning to understand this metric using project management (PMI-ACP) this is not purely scrum but it can be used in other agile methodologies like (XP or Lean).

My understanding towards project burndown is to know:

What is our progress in achieving the current milestone (release)?

When can be expect to start next milestone? 

Does PO agree on refining the backlog and ensure it is having few items ready before the next milestone planning starts? 

I think we can relate project burndown to release burndown - but not sure. 

01:35 pm January 5, 2018

The Scrum Guide does talk a little about projective practices such as burndowns, and it also discusses projects. A “project burndown” is therefore possible. However, it would not be correct to suggest that a “project burndown” actually has an express purpose in Scrum.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.