Skip to main content

Is it worthto have psm1 and pspo1 both

Last post 06:53 pm December 21, 2020 by Mekala Manoj Priyatham
7 replies
06:14 am January 6, 2018

Hi,

First of all i am thankful to all who have shared their exp in this forum.it really helped me to pass PSM1 test. Now i would like to get some input whether having PSM1 and PSPO1 both is worth. I am confused between PSM2 and pspo1. I am confident for pspo1but no ready to crack psm2. If psm1 and pspo1 both will be worth i will go for that. Please suggest. 

06:37 pm January 8, 2018

Definitely good to have both, it means you have demonstrated proficiency in both knowledge areas.  Also means you are pretty serious about your Scrum knowledge.

11:23 pm January 11, 2018

Even if one has CSM they still need to have these.?

04:44 pm January 16, 2018

From a "resume" perspective (and a knowledge perspective), always better to have more certs than less. (and preferably higher level certs like PSM II, etc)

10:28 pm January 21, 2019

I would recommend to have both of them. It's always better to get more knowledge to become professional.

01:40 pm January 23, 2019

Whenever people ask me for advice, I always ask if they like collecting stuff. Are you after a large number of certifications under your belt, or are you looking to become a better version of yourself?

Are you looking to advance your knowledge, and therefore, practice in helping teams work in Scrum (and you are a coach or SM)? Then I'd suggest you stick to PSM II.

In my view, PSPO I may not really bring worthy benefits, unless, of course, you are a product owner.

04:01 pm January 23, 2019

I agree with @Eugene about his stance on collecting.  Having the certifications does not actually mean you know, understand and can act in an Agile/Scrum manner.  I know a number of people with CSMs, CSPOs and even PSM I that were able to sit through the class (CSPO), sit through class and take test covered in class (CSM) or have the ability to study and pass the PSM I (usually people fresh from college).  But that does not mean that I would hire them as a SM or PO.  The certs look good on the resume if you also have some experience to support the use of them.  Having the certs with no experience just shows that you are really good at studying and passing tests. 

So, depending on your motivation for acquiring the certs, you will have to decide if having them in different disciplines is worth doing. Yes, I have a CSM, PSM I, PSM II, PSPO and SPS but I did them after I had worked in the Scrum environments and did it because I wanted to show my dedication and appreciation of Scrum.

03:36 pm December 21, 2020

Nice information 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.