Skip to main content

Dependencies on other teams

Last post 05:21 pm October 19, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
8 replies
06:39 pm January 19, 2018

Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice on how to approach an issue I'm facing.

I am a Scrum Master in a team with a fairly technical product. We work as a part of a bigger bank structure which adds some challenges. 

Recently a lot of our user stories were carrying over. After conducting a Retrospective on those stories the team has understood that most of the stories were dependent on other teams involvement (to me it was apparent even before). Most of the time we have to file a ticket with another team, wait for them to complete and then integrate it with our system and test. Most of the time we're blocked at the very beginning.

The team is trying to convince me that there always will be stories like that and though we do our best to make it work faster (by contacting the right POC from the start), we can never guarantee how much time it's going to take.

Some of my suggestions were:

• Incorporate risk of being blocked by dependencies into our estimates which will increase them dramatically
  • Limit the number of dependent stories we take into each sprint
  • Split out the first part of the stories (request) into a separate task-story and complete it before committing to the rest of the story

All of the suggestions above were dismissed by the team. I am out of ideas at this point. 

Anyone has other suggestions or should I press on to the ideas above?

Thank you

09:16 pm January 19, 2018

Irrespective of how much work remains undone at the end of a Sprint, are the team meeting an agreed Sprint Goal and is an increment of release quality being provided?

09:57 pm January 19, 2018

Daria,

Regarding your suggestions, I would caution against the 1st item.   

You need to ensure that relative estimates are based on complexity and effort, and do not reflect any "lean waste" item such as waiting.   Always have the team base their estimates on their work only, and this will serve to make issues and impediments visible.   You will only hide dysfunction by burying your wait time into higher estimates.

Regarding your 3rd item, it may be prudent to have an external team actually complete a request/dependency before your team takes on their work.   It is up to you how you want to manage this (separate ticket?).   

What has worked well for me in the past is ensuring that my teams do not take any work into their sprints that have external dependencies.   It is part of the team's Definition of Ready (I know, not part of the Scrum Guide, but having such a checklist works for my teams).   On rare occasions, my team will accept items with external dependencies, but only if there is a high assurance that the dependency, and the team's work, can be completed by the end of the sprint.

Perhaps a hybrid of option 2 and 3 can work.   What you do know is that the current situation is not working, so trying nothing is simply not an option, and you should hold your team accountable to come up with ideas to try and improve the situation.

Good luck!

04:16 pm January 20, 2018

Have you considered if the teams are setup correctly? Would you be able to reduce dependencies if you were able to do the work inside your own team?

04:27 pm January 22, 2018

@Ian, unfortunately, the answer to both parts of your question is "No". The work gets stuck and we cannot advance towards our goal.

@Timothy, I agree. I was thinking of incorporating the risk itself not the waiting time, e.g. the risk the other team would not be able to complete on time. Usually if we have worked with a team on similar tickets before we are fairly certain they can complete in timely manner. 

I would definitely go with your approach myself - not take any stories with external dependencies or only take them in once dependencies are resolved. 

I think my mind is in the right place but I'm struggling with resistance to change processes encouraged by leadership. I just wanted to have someone else look at the situation.

@Julian, this is definitely one of the main issues I can see. The organisation is set up in such a way that every team is almost always dependent on another team for something or at some point in time. Usually, when the team brings up dependencies on other teams I challenge them on it: are we really dependent? can we complete it on our side? A lot of the times because of the way the infrastructure of the whole product was built we need another team to intervene.

05:43 pm January 22, 2018

In Scrum, team members personally commit to the goals of the team, and commitment is of course one of the Scrum values. If team members understand that they will have these dependencies and blockages with essential user stories, why are they committing to a Sprint Goal they know they cannot meet? Why aren’t they insisting on having the necessary skills to do the work? Is there a constraint on team self-organization which ought to be challenged?

In Scrum it is not the case that there will “always be stories like that”, because no-one can force work onto a team which they are unable to do. It seems that in this case work is either being pressured onto the team, or there is an organizational constraint on achieving necessary cross-functionality, or members have a lackadaisical idea of personal commitment, or perhaps a bit of all three.

06:16 pm January 22, 2018

Thank you, Ian. This is exactly the case in this organisation, you know, when everyone thinks they are Agile and are doing Scrum when they are actually not. I am but a single person who understand we need a bigger more global change, however, I do not have full support of an Agile Coach (I have around 3 years experience in a Scrum Master role), therefore, need to address these challenges on my own.  

Especially agree on the "self-organisation" point - we have a very strong team lead who drives a lot of discussions. This is currently hindering our improvements as a team. 

02:30 pm October 17, 2020

Hello everyone,

I realize this is a rather old post but I just came across it and it piqued my interest since we are struggling with dependencies as well.  We are in the middle of our Agile and DevOps\CICD  Transformation so we do still have quite some dependencies across squads and Tribes.  

We have our teams and POs try to manage them and when things are really stuck, we have Road Managers (cross-tribe Coordinators) who try to help and lastly an escalation path via our Tribe Leads...  Not elegant but it helps until we finish our transformation...

One of the conversations we have most frequently is around when dependencies which are known at time of quarterly planning do not materialize and our teams are not able to deliver the Key Results (OKR) to which they committed before end of quarter.  Today we explain that the squad who committed to the deliverable remains responsible and their OKR scoring subsequently should reflect this.  As you can imagine there are varying opinions on this approach with our squads mostly feeling that they should not be penalized for a dependency outside of their squad and which they tried to (unsuccessfully) influence it to be completed.

My question is, ‘Who is accountable for undelivered commitments for which dependencies did not materialize?  What is the industry best practice on this and\or what is the experience of everyone here?  

Many thanks in advance!

Scott Jenkins

05:21 pm October 19, 2020

What commitment have executives made to implement Scrum in the enterprise, and to mitigate organizational impediments? Where is their demonstration of servant-leadership here?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.