Skip to main content

How should a scrum master Answer

Last post 05:06 pm January 24, 2018 by Timothy Baffa
10 replies
08:37 pm January 19, 2018

Manager : What is the total number of story point for this sprint?

Scrum Master : 80

Manager : What was our velocity last sprint?

Scrum  Master : 100

Manager : why? and what did we do wrong that our velocity dropped?

09:32 pm January 19, 2018

"If you're a member of the Scrum Team, why can't you tell me what happened?"

10:03 pm January 19, 2018

Velocity is a planning metric, not a performance metric.

01:17 am January 20, 2018

>> Velocity is a planning metric, not a performance metric

Exactly, and in addition to that it doesn't measure productivity or value delivered to the customer.

Did he ask if the team met the Sprint Goal?

02:34 pm January 21, 2018

Extremely great insight chris. Surely, velocity is planning metric not a performance metric.

12:32 pm January 22, 2018

Manager : why? and what did we do wrong that our velocity dropped?

Well, maybee because we made the DOD more stringent :-)

07:48 pm January 22, 2018

Thanks Guys for the helpful answers . I came across this question in my interview. So posted it here :)

01:54 pm January 23, 2018

Shweta, what was your response to the interview question?

02:34 pm January 23, 2018

My answer to the interviewer was "velocity doesn't depends on the capacity of the team and shouldn't be dependent on productivity or quality, we might have lower points for this sprint due to dev. capacity and few complex story cards which dev. feel would take more time to finish"

06:55 pm January 23, 2018

I have on more question for you all.Should the team maintain its average velocity in every sprint or the velocity for each sprint should be based on teams capacity? 

05:06 pm January 24, 2018

Shweta, in my opinion you should be very cautious about using velocity as a means of judging team performance, or as a "target" for the team to try and reach each sprint.

Velocity is a reflective metric that measures team productivity.   Such a metric can fluctuate for a multitude of reasons, such as: team member PTO, team roster changes, holidays, non-sprint meetings, learning, training, estimation (poorer or better), etc.

In my experience, there is usually a correlation between team capacity and team velocity, but such metrics should only be used as a guide for teams to determine how much work they can comfortably complete in a sprint.

What is far more important is understanding whether the team is producing value for the business.   It should always be about the quality and value of the deliverables, not about the volume of work completed.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.