Skip to main content

One PO, one Backlog, one SM and two Development Teams how does it work?

Last post 11:47 am February 16, 2018 by Marcel Zebrowski
3 replies
01:08 pm February 15, 2018

Hi all,

I'm new to scrum and currently I do my preparation to my first exam (PSM1) and have a question about the situation when two Development Teams works together to deliver the highest value in form of an integrated increment for one product.

This situation does not fit in to the Nexus Framework because there we need three ore more Dev Teams. 

I have no idea how the Dev Teams works together in the sprint planing meeting or how they do a retrospective meeting. 

Who is responsible to pull the PBI's from the prodcut backlog to the specific sprint backlog of the respective team?

Who did the refinement?

I hope you can give me some hints or resources where I can go deeper.

Best regards

Marcel

07:40 am February 16, 2018

Hi Marcel,

I believe the reason why Nexus is said to apply only to three or more teams is because two teams will likely find less wasteful ways to work together, e.g. they might not need an Integration team to keep track of their dependencies, seeing as there's only two teams.

Who is responsible to pull the PBI's from the prodcut backlog to the specific sprint backlog of the respective team?

The Scrum Guide has the answer as to who pulls PBI into a specific team's backlog. ;-)

Who did the refinement?

Refinement should generally be done by the team which will do the work (or as the case may be here, the team likely to do the work). I've found the benefit of refinement is in the conversations it sparks, not so much the results it produces.

08:55 am February 16, 2018

It’s always important to look for reasons not to scale. Scaling brings its own problems, some of which Nexus is designed to address. The first choice should always be to descale organizational challenges so they can be dealt with using Scrum.

Where there are only two teams, there is little reason to resort to a scaling solution at all. Two Scrum Teams working on the same product ought to be able to collaborate with each other without recourse to a scaling methodology or framework.

11:47 am February 16, 2018

Thank you for your help. :-)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.