Skip to main content

Scrum master

Last post 08:16 pm March 23, 2018 by Daniel Jorissen
8 replies
02:06 am February 17, 2018

During one of the following sprint teams, two out of five team members for health reasons had to go for a longer absence. What will you do if you are a Scrum master?

02:00 pm February 21, 2018

What is the opinion of the team regarding their ability to meet the Sprint Goal and/or complete their sprint forecast, in light of having two team members unavailable?

08:04 am March 21, 2018

I guess the answer is very simple: you have to remove (by coordinating with PO) items from sprint backlog. If you have to delete all items,because you do not have resources to complete them, it is required to discuss this on Spring Retrospective (for example). Your team should choose what will be better:

1 - hire new members

2 - wait for their return

Again, maybe my answer is very simple but I do not see another actions

08:11 am March 21, 2018

By "you have to remove items from Sprint Backlog" I meant you as Development Team. As scrum master,  you need to talk about this at Sprint Retrospective like any other member of the team

01:29 pm March 21, 2018

Orkhan, I disagree with your approach/suggestion.   

The situation as laid out by Bojan did not happen suddenly; therefore, I would assume that the lower capacity was understood during that sprint's planning session, and the team came up with an appropriate sprint forecast/goal reflective of that reduced capacity.

As a Scrum Master, there really isn't anything for him/her to do in this situation, other than to ensure that the capacity impact to the Development Team is visible to the Scrum Team (Dev Team, PO), and that there is discussion and agreement on what is achievable under those circumstances.

A common approach when faced with potential issues/impediments is to "turn it over to the team", and see what they would recommend.   

Also, in my opinion, hiring new team members is not a good (or plausible) response to the situation, although if the Development Team capacity is going to be negatively impacted long-term because of the health issues of team members, perhaps the organization may want to explore adjusting the team roster to help the team's cross-functionality and productivity.

02:52 pm March 21, 2018

During one of the following sprint teams, two out of five team members for health reasons had to go for a longer absence. What will you do if you are a Scrum master?

Might it be important to check with the team regarding the likely impact on the Sprint Goal, and perhaps help the Product Owner and Development Team revise the Sprint Backlog so the Goal can still be achieved?

What does the Scrum Guide say about a possible course of action in the event of the Goal becoming unattainable?

03:28 pm March 21, 2018

Hi Timothy!

Thanks for your message. I am not fully agree with you, but anyway regarding hiring new team members you are right, cause it is really not a right action (just in case what the team will do after "old" team members returning?). 

06:01 pm March 21, 2018

This is a loaded scenario with far too little information to make a decision. "During one of the following sprint teams...." what does that mean? What do you mean by a longer absence? Are we talking the developers are gone for an entire sprint, half a sprint, or maybe 3 consecutive sprints? 

The SM should check with the team about this first. Is the goal still attainable with the resources available? Can the scrum team adjust the sprint backlog and still get something accomplished? 

07:01 pm March 23, 2018

While studying for the Scrum Master certification exam I realized the reason this role appeals to me is because a Scrum Master's responsibilities are similar that of an umpire during a baseball game. As an aspiring Scrum Master and veteran baseball umpire I decided to complete the Scrum/MLB analogy using the Scrum Guide and post it here for your amusement and amazement -- enjoy! 

Scrum analogy using major league baseball (with my apologies to rugby)

Product = Baseball Team

Scrum Rules = Baseball Rules

Stakeholders = General Manager and Team Owner

Product Owner = Team Manager

Development Team = Players and assistant coaches

Development Team Size = 25

ScrumMaster = Plate Umpire

Scrum Team = Everyone on the field during a game--manager, coaches, players, and plate umpire

Customers/Users = Fans

Sprint Planning = Lineup card

Sprint = Game

Cancelling a Sprint = Rainout

Sprint Goal = Win Game

Daily Scrum = Team practices. Pre-game warmups on game days.

Releases = Opening day, All-Star break, end of regular season, division series, championship series, world series

Transparency = League standings and player stats

Inspection = Post-game review by manager, coaches, and players

Adaptation = Team manager changes lineup as needed

Scrum Values = A successful baseball team depends on the manager, coaches, and players becoming more proficient in the values of commitment, courage, focus, openness and respect.

ScrumMaster Service to the Development Team = Plate Umpire calls ball / strike / fair / foul / safe / out during games

ScrumMaster Service to the Product Owner = Plate Umpire enforces rules during Games and provides rule explanations to Team Manager as needed

ScrumMaster Service to the Organization = Plate Umpire contributes to league analysis of existing rules and adoption of new rules to increase game efficiency and fan enjoyment

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.