Skip to main content

What does the Scrum Guide mean by "a development effort" (in the context of Sprint durations)?

Last post 03:20 pm February 28, 2018 by Andrew McKenzie
2 replies
03:44 pm February 23, 2018

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the meaning of this phrase in the Scrum Guide (especially the boldface portion):

Sprints have consistent durations throughout a development effort.

Specifically, what I am wondering is: what is the maximum frequency at which a team can modify its sprint durations, and yet still be doing "Scrum by the Scrum Guide"? In other words, what period is referred to by "a development effort"? Is it through the life of a product, a release, a totally subjective time-frame that the team determines?

(NOTE: To be clear, I'm not asking for rules / best practices around selecting Sprint duration. I understand that there are many reasons to avoid changing sprint duration, and also various rationales and recommendations around shorter vs. longer Sprints.)

Thanks!

07:13 pm February 23, 2018

"Throughout a development effort" refers to the time taken until the Product Backlog is exhausted, or the Product Owner determines there would be insufficient value in continuing with further Sprints. Hence it is the life of the product.

If Sprint duration is amended by a team, for whatever reason, then they will need to re-establish consistency for the remainder of the development effort. Failure to do so will compromise the efficacy of empirical process control.

11:01 pm February 27, 2018

Thanks, Ian!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.