Skip to main content

Questions About UAT, Documentations and "phase"

Last post 04:52 am March 2, 2018 by Ian Mitchell
5 replies
02:18 am February 27, 2018

Hi All

I am new to scrum and have few questions about how to carrying out agile management.

1. How we address UAT ?

By the definition of done, the increment should be tested ( I assume it should pass ut, sit, uat...)

The scrum team should be able to complete the task and do not rely on others.

If I am working in a vendor, and obviously UAT should be carried by customer and no customer is in our scrum team, how should we address this?

2. How details should be the documentations?

I "heard" scrum do not need much documentation...

Do we need to include documents like FDS, TDS, and how details should be?

3. If the sprint is of four-week long, is it appropriate to separate it like

1-2nd : dev

3rd : SIT

4th: UAT

Many Thanks!

08:57 pm February 27, 2018

1)  What are some of your ideas for incorporating UAT within the sprint, in order to meet your DoD?

2)  Scrum doesn't specify how much documentation you should or should not produce.   You should create and maintain whatever level of documentation is needed in order to support the delivery of functionality each sprint.   

Keep in mind that the Agile Manifesto values Working Software over Comprehensive Documentation; however, that doesn't translate to a recommended level of documentation needed.   What is important is that, regardless of the level of documentation required, that it does not replace the conversation(s) that must take place between the Development Team and the Product Owner / stakeholders regarding the product backlog items.

3)  Whatever you do in implementing Scrum, do not approach your sprints as a mini-waterfall (phases).   To answer your question, it is not appropriate from a Scrum perspective to do as you proposed.

02:38 am February 28, 2018

Thanks Timothy

1) From the Scrum guide

"Each Increment is additive to all prior Increments and thoroughly tested, ensuring that all Increments work together."

Thus, I think that the UAT should be included in the DoD. 

Besides, after the sprint completed, there should be a potential releasable increments.

By releasable, I assume, it means it can be deployed to production. Thus, the task should include uat.

Correct me if I am wrong.

2) It seems that it quite hard to take a balance.....especially the traditional TDS and FDS are very comprehensive..

3) Then Do we have SIT and UAT period?

I understand that every task should be independently developed and tested.

However, we still need to do an end to end testing for an increment. 

09:26 am February 28, 2018

The Scrum Team need to refine the Product Backlog Item with the key stakeholders. It is a good place to craft the UAT together (see 3 amigos https://www.agilealliance.org/glossary/three-amigos/#q=~(filters~(postType~(~'page~'post~'aa_book~'aa_event_session~'aa_experience_report~'aa_glossary~'aa_research_paper~'aa_video)~tags~(~'three*20amigos))~searchTerm~'~sort~false~sortDirection~'asc~page~1)

After the UAT are clear for everybody, the Dev Team should be able to run the UAT on its own.

11:03 pm March 1, 2018

We have a process where the Dev do their own Unit tests and then builds are automated if the Dev feels its ready for  QA. QA verifies all moving parts and regression test suite pass. Then the feature/US is "done"  , and at end of sprint what is "done" is demoed . 

If PO and stakeholders agree, this gets released to  the UAT ENV. Based on feedback from customer/Biz, PO again adds items to PB.

04:52 am March 2, 2018

I think that the UAT should be included in the DoD. 

Executing user acceptance tests successfully ought to be part of the DoD. Defining what those test conditions are, however, might be a condition of “ready”. Bear in mind that Testable is one of the INVEST criteria. Therefore it might reasonably be considered during refinement, as Olivier has indicated.

The traditional TDS and FDS are very comprehensive

Do they add value to the increment? What do they evidence which a demonstrably working increment cannot? They may be thought important in a stage-gated development process where empirical evidence is delayed, but in an iterative and incremental one might this kind of documentation be waste?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.