Skip to main content

Definition of usable?

Last post 10:56 am March 1, 2018 by Adam Browne
4 replies
05:15 pm February 27, 2018

I've seen "Definition of Done" everywhere, but is there an accepted definition of what constitutes a "usable" increment? Does it have to be usable by end customers? Or does it meet the requirements if it's only usable by internal users?

07:16 pm February 27, 2018

It has to be usable enough for lessons to be learned about it which are based on empirical evidence.

If customers are internal, will the evidence so gathered be sufficient to allow the inspection and adaptation of a demonstrably valuable product?

04:37 pm February 28, 2018

Thanks Ian - I'd say that at least some lessons could be learned about it, given that internal users (eg editors) will need to use elements of the product.

On thinking further, perhaps my issue is that most of the projects I've worked on wouldn't provide anything that an external customer could use by the end of the first sprint. So I'm trying to understand whether it makes sense to break down the definition of "usable" to the point where you can say that yes, component A is done and usable even if components B through Z aren't near that point yet.

10:37 am March 1, 2018

So I'm trying to understand whether it makes sense to break down the definition of "usable" to the point where you can say that yes, component A is done and usable even if components B through Z aren't near that point yet.

Usable should mean fit for release. The release environment is always something to be determined. It might be an entire customer base, or it may be a subset which has been selected in order to conduct specific, empirical tests. A small change might be appropriate for a controlled split test to be carried out, for example.

One of the defining characteristics of an increment "fit for release" is that it ought to represent some sort of feature, or a collection of features. Features themselves ought to be usable and of demonstrable, empirical value. User stories are a common means of representing them. Value does not necessarily mean money, it could be a useful lesson which confirms or refutes an hypothesis about product scope. "Components", unless they actually are features, may not represent something useful like that.

10:56 am March 1, 2018

Yes, "feature" is probably a more appropriate term here than "component". Thanks, that helps.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.