Is standing up required during the Daily Scrum?

Last post 12:30 am March 7, 2018
by Chris Belknap
12 replies
11:46 am March 4, 2018

I've looked around the Internet. Many sources emphasize that it's required. I can't find related information in the Scrum Guide and hope someone can help.

10:08 pm March 5, 2018

It is a matter of preference, and is not a requirement per the Scrum Guide.

It is a common practice though, as it promotes a sense of focus and urgency around the Daily Scrum.

10:46 pm March 5, 2018

It doesn't matter, Daily Scrum focus on the output of it, the team can structure it in way they think its right. 

11:08 pm March 5, 2018

The answer is an emphatic No. Every time I hear "you gotta stand up", I hear 3 letters: ADA (for those not familiar with US idiosyncrasies, it stands for Americans with Disabilities Act, which pretty much might qualify any of these exercise borderline harassing and illegal).

11:39 pm March 5, 2018

FYI - You can thank the Extreme Programming XP folks (Kent Beck) for the Daily Standup, as that is where the term comes from.  Nowhere in the Scrum Guide says you have to stand at the Daily Scrum - but sometimes it is a good idea to keep the meeting focused and to 15 minutes, as mentioned.

07:24 am March 6, 2018

I think Dave West once said that if you call it the Daily Standup at, you have to stand in the corner for four hours. :P

09:12 am March 6, 2018

From experience no...

We do stand as a team but I know others that don't... The extreme I've seen was a team who all went to Starbucks for 30 minutes to basically chat... this isn't what it is for. The Developers should be talking synchronising and helping each other.

As others have said from memory XP was 'Stand Up' Scrum is Daily Scrum.. 

I find it keeps people focussed on task in hand if we walk board or look at Jira on TV.. but there is no 100% has to be this.

09:30 am March 6, 2018

No, it is not required to stand-up during the daily since it is not stated in the Scrum Guide. However, we do our Daily Scrum standing up since most of the team members are already sitting down for the remainder of the work day. Sitting down for extended periods is not healthy so you should stand up once in awhile. Sitting down at your desk should have a time box!

12:47 pm March 6, 2018

As a Scrum master I would answer to a team that it is NOT mandatory. I would strongly want to digg a little bit to find out the real reason why they do not want to held a daily scrum each day. I would be curious of the answers, maybe it will lead to something completly different.

Daily scrum is a great opportunity for the Dev Team to inspect their last 24 hours and plan and adapt their next 24 hours in a collaborative way. It is a 15 minutes timebox to focus on realigning the work on the sprint goal. It is something important for a team. Maybe they just don't see the value behind this event. I would make sure they understand well before trying to cancel the daily scrum.

I hope this makes sense and help you with the original question.

01:10 pm March 6, 2018

Why not call it the 'sit down' or even the 'lie down'.  Lets not get too comfortable as the participants might fall asleep or prolong the meeting because its cosy. How about calling the 'Daily Standup'. the 'Daily 15'? The emphasis is then on the timebox rather than the posture.

06:26 pm March 6, 2018

I read my previous comment and I realized I was completly off the track to your original question. Sorry about that. I misunderstood the question and I thought the question pointed out the event itself instead of the HOW to do it.

That being said, I think the HOW is up to the Dev Team. It should not be mandatory to standup but the daily must occured in a suitable atmosphere to focus on planning the team collaboration for the next 24 hours toward the sprint goal.

07:20 pm March 6, 2018

Daily Scrum...

Already has a title from guide... I get nagged for saying it isn't a stand up... same people nag for Review being a review and not as they want a 'show & tell'.. 

12:30 am March 7, 2018

Sitting is the new smoking.