Skip to main content

People over process. When does process win?

Last post 08:58 am March 21, 2018 by Robert Shandley
3 replies
11:26 am March 17, 2018

Hello everyone! I was in an interview for a PO position at a bank a couple of weeks ago and was asked one question that really stuck out. "In agile, when does process win?"

I thought this was a very interesting question. In a large-scale company, such as an enterprise bank, there are many processes in place due to their own governance, as well as government oversight. Things like change-management, production deployments, etc.. are enacted when there are  hundreds of people across the organization doing work that could affect millions of users. 

I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with as an answer. I was honestly tripped up by this question a little bit.

07:19 am March 20, 2018

This is an interesting question indeed. Off the top of my head, I'd say process wins when there is a convincing case to be made for a standardised approach to something. There are things that just shouldn't be reinvented by each team, so a standardised approach across a company makes sense. It's hard to get buy-in from every single developer on these things, so in those cases, process may win (provided there is a large enough number of teams willing to go with that process).

08:34 am March 20, 2018

When does process win what?

08:58 am March 21, 2018

Don't we always work inside the boundaries of process? Sure, the process is subject to inspection and adaptation, but without process we would be in chaos.

Michael, the processes you mention above are born out of constraints on the system as a whole. So depending upon the rigidity of the constraints, they always 'win'.

Here, a short Video on constraints from the brilliant Dave Snowden:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkz55HMfcOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7E_rXs17u0

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.