Skip to main content

Who should start the sprint?

Last post 07:22 am March 23, 2018 by Julian Bayer
7 replies
02:40 pm March 20, 2018

Is it up to development team to decide? 

09:58 pm March 20, 2018

The new Sprint starts immediately following the last Sprint.  As soon as your Sprint Retrospective ends the last Sprint, Sprint Planning kicks off the new Sprint.  The entire Scrum team should be present in Sprint Planning to start the Sprint.

The Scrum Master makes sure the rules of Scrum are followed.

09:58 pm March 20, 2018

What does the Scrum Guide have to say about when each Sprint starts?

01:38 pm March 21, 2018

Thanks for your responses! Of course the sprint starts right after the previous one was concluded.

After posting this question I've realized, that I made a mistake -  what I actually meant to ask was: 

"Who should start the Daily Scrum and who decides on that" - sorry for confusion.

Anybody would disagree, that it is entirely up to Development Team to decide?

04:08 pm March 21, 2018

Who should start the sprint?

If you mean, "Who should initiate the very first sprint?" or "How should a team come together to start sprinting in the first place?" then this is not addressed in the Scrum Guide, except for the implication that if you are not sprinting, then you are not doing Scrum.

Therefore if this is what you meant by your question, I would ask these questions to help guide toward an answer:

• What development approach, methodology, or framework is the team using now?
  • Is the team experienced with Scrum? (And was it Scrum, Scrum-but, Scrum-and ...?)
  • What problems is the team facing with the current approach and hoping to solve?
  • Who has suggested the team try Scrum? Did it come from within the team or outside of it? By "management"? From an appointed Scrum Master?
  • Is there an identified Product Owner (and some product vision, however vague or incipient)?

I imagine many Scrum Masters would suggest beginning the first sprint as soon as the minimal components necessary to use Scrum are in place, even if some (e.g., Product Backlog) are initialized in the first Sprint Planning.

10:49 am March 22, 2018

In my team Daily Scrum is started by someone from the team. Not always SM (who is also part of the dev team).

09:02 pm March 22, 2018

Thanks for the clarification, Szymon.

Since only the Development Team participates in the Daily Scrum, then they should indeed be the only ones deciding how the event is started and run (within the guidance of the Scrum Guide).

The Scrum Master may facilitate as requested or needed. Commonly this may occur early on, with a new team or team members new to Scrum.

07:22 am March 23, 2018

The Daily Scrum just starts at the time and place the Development Team agreed upon. ;)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.