Skip to main content

Ratio of story maps to backlog in complex project

Last post 08:38 pm March 23, 2018 by Ian Mitchell
1 reply
12:22 pm March 22, 2018

Hello!

I'm coaching with a company that has ~ 5 engineering teams (this is only the demand side - supply chain is different).  One PO, several PMs (1 for each team) and some design people.

It's an e-commerce setup, and so the teams are roughly specialized around parts of the funnel (acquisition, retention, conversion, etc).

When adopting story maps, I'm wondering at what resolution to start.  Would you recommend having one giant roadmap for the entire project?  It's not very easy to think about.  It would quickly look like a hodgepodge and be unreadable. 

Instead, what I'm seeing are thematic story maps.  Such as a workshop on "Visibility of our loyalty program" that shows touchpoints on the customer journey and some which are traditional candidates for more narrative maps like "referral program".

This is fine, but the story mapping guides (and Jeff's book - which I've read), advocate using the map as a backlog.  A given team may be working on several initiatives at once, and obviously, the entire org is definitely working on several initiatives at once.  How have you seen larger orgs consolidate these maps into an overall release plan / backlog?

Thanks!

Jacob

08:38 pm March 23, 2018

How many products has the PO been able to identify, and have you had the opportunity to discuss this with them and to understand their reasoning?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.