Skip to main content

ITIL and Scrum

Last post 07:22 am April 13, 2022 by René Gysenbergs
7 replies
02:01 pm March 24, 2018

I was wondering how people in a heavy ITIL environment manage to be agile. For me, agile is about small, autonomous units getting 'stuff done' with the minimal amount of documentation. ITIL seems hot on process and documentation and many 'managers' (service manager, delivery manager, demand manager and so forth).

Any thoughts, guys?

02:26 pm March 24, 2018

I was an agile coach on an ITIL based  initiative a few years ago. The documentation was extensive. I blew the dust off some volumes to have a look. It was stuck on sone shelving behind the office Christmas tree, some tinsel, and some old unused binders if I recall correctly. It had been forgotten about for years even though they were notionally following the process. I left it there, they continued to pretend they were following it, and that is how they became agile.

03:34 pm March 24, 2018

Hi Ian!

Thanks for the insight, so basically you think the only way to be Agile in an ITIL environment is to 'pretend' to follow ITIL? :-)

01:44 pm March 25, 2018

ITIL based organisation can be Agile but will struggle without DevOps practices. Rather than spending all the time documenting rather spend time automating. Time spent wisely.

06:52 am September 16, 2020

It's very different in ITIL 4. Gone are the lengthy processes and paperwork replaced with practices. 

For example, the Product Owner would serve as the Change Authority in ITIL 4, which replaces the Change Advisory Board (CAB) from ITIL 3.

ITIL 4 now calls what was the change management process, the change enablement practice (it’s one of ITIL 4’s 34 management practices).

05:09 pm February 8, 2022

If you want to consult companies on Agile transformation or work for a company that embraces different frameworks like SAFe – then look into becoming certified. You can take courses in agile coaching and project management among others. PMP vs Scrum Certification

08:42 am February 14, 2022

When I finished the ITIL4 "Foundation" version, after reading the cumbersome content of the "Professional version", I gave up and continued to learn ITIL4.

They have a high enough theoretical height, just like a farmer who wants to land on the moon, can only look up, can't touch.

At present, there are many frameworks of executive knowledge that can be used to practice and implement in the world. The most direct "out of the box" is Scrum!

07:22 am April 13, 2022

I've been ITILF 3, ITILF 2011 and in 2020 ITILF 4 certified and I can say that ITIL 4 drops all the overkill in processes and documentation.

It's tailored to Agile working environments and seriously sized down.

Nowadays the study guide for the foundation level (all you really need in combination with some common sense) is only 42 pages.

For ITIL 3 and ITIL 2011 it used to be a full A4 ring binder (the widest model).

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.