Skip to main content

Where does Scrum stop within a company?

Last post 01:56 pm April 16, 2018 by Thiago Cunha
7 replies
07:27 am April 10, 2018

Hopefully you guys can help me with following. I have some doubts where SCRUM stops within a company. It's clear for me how the Product Owner, Development Team and Scrum Master work together. But a company consists of more people.

My questions is: where does SCRUM stop? Is the SCRUM Team the basis of a company, which is supported by the rest (for example sales, administration, etc.)? 

Hopefully i can find some more information about this. 

04:20 pm April 10, 2018

In Scrum, a team must create increments of release quality each and every Sprint. They should have all of the skills to do so. That can mean incorporating a broad range of organizational functions into each team. The rest of the organization should assist and facilitate each team's ability to deliver Sprint by Sprint, so that progress can be empirically demonstrated.

08:39 pm April 10, 2018

Ye.. 

You have to remember that the development team has to be 100% focused with the scrum team work. So is really hard for a developer to work in sprint demands and also in corporative demands. 

Another point is that scrum is not for all projects, when people listen to the framework they get enchanted and wants to apply in all organizations. But this can't happen and usually causes a lot of confusion, it actually happened in my own company.

Scrum is for software development and if you're going to apply in other contexts you'll probably have to adapt the framework. 

Anyway the awnsers is depends... The company can live for scrum teams, somewhat like spotify squads, or have some scrum teams for development with more independent work from the corporative demands... 

06:39 am April 11, 2018

Scrum is for software development and if you're going to apply in other contexts you'll probably have to adapt the framework. 

The Scrum Guide begs to differ.

Scrum has been used to develop software, hardware, embedded software, networks of interacting function, autonomous vehicles, schools, government, marketing, managing the operation of organizations and almost everything we use in our daily lives, as individuals and societies.

07:20 am April 11, 2018

My question is relevant for a company that develops software :)

12:35 pm April 11, 2018

I'm not sure I understand what you are expecting as far as an answer but here is my 2 cents. 

In many companies, Scrum is just a method used by a specific department; no different than methods used for sales calls or handling support calls. In other companies, they try to utilize scrum wherever possible. Neither is wrong or right.

With that said, Scrum should absolutely be ACCEPTED by anyone within the organization that has any relation to the development team. Corporate leaders much accept that the end result may seem longer down the road but the end result will be higher quality for the end user. Sales must accept that deadlines don't work within scrum so they cannot make guarantees to potential and new customers with deadlines that don't fall within the framework of Scrum. 

From my experience, the companies that fully embrace scrum from top-down (meaning they accept it, not necessarily put it into action everywhere) are where scrum is able to be fully scrum. The companies that put it into a box, that force deadlines and other expectations that don't fall within the framework; put so much pressure on the dev team that they cannot utilize scrum to the full extent. 

01:53 pm April 15, 2018

Scrum is defined as “A framework within which people can address complex adaptive problems, while productively and creatively delivering products of the highest possible value.”

As such it is not limited to software development. Why not have top management define their next corporate strategy using Scrum?

Thiago, I agree that “development team has to be 100% focused” while doing Development Team work. I do not agree however that development team members have to be full time working in the Development Team as long as their availability is no impediment to team progress and Sprint Goal achievement. 

The statement “scrum is not for all projects” probably should also be discussed here. Criteria to use Scrum are: 

- complex problem

- empiricism (knowledge comes from experience) helps to grasp the problem

- small team of people can work on it

But once Scrum seems fit and is applied, it is NOT a project anymore. It is incremental product development. 

There are still a lot of domains where, for example clearly defined tasks have to be completed in a well known sequence. Here a project can be a good choice.

01:56 pm April 16, 2018

Hi guys!

Thanks very much for your point, it's always great to get to know new perspectives and grow our knowledge!

Julian, great point! The scrum guide does say that, i've read it thousand times, hahaha.. Just to remember I did said "you'll probably have to adapt" the framework, it is comepletely possible but in sometimes it's just not the right tool for your context. For me the beauty of it is to analyse the context and see what's the best methodology and the best way to approach.  

When I affirmed " Scrum is for software development " I had my foothold on the value of the Agile manifest which said "Working Software Over Comprehensive Documentation". So if we're going full by the book  you'll never be able to apply agile outside of the development scenario. Of course you can intepretate as MVP, but it'll be an interpretation, so an adaptation. You see what I mean? 

Stefan, I agree with you! 

Another good point is, can you do SCRUM for routines and process? Really worth it? 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.