Skip to main content

Scrum Master and Sprint Review

Last post 07:42 am April 11, 2018 by Jose Manuel Gómez Fraile
4 replies
08:38 am April 10, 2018

I have a doubt about the Scrum Master and the Sprint Review.

The Scrum Guide says that the Scrum Team must attend to the Sprint Review, so I understand that the Scrum Master must also attend. Why must the Scrum Master always attend that event? What is its purpose?

12:01 pm April 10, 2018

If you read the section on the Sprint Review in the Scrum Guide, it makes it very clear why the SM must attend and the purpose of the Event. 

What spurs your doubt that the SM must attend? 

12:47 pm April 10, 2018

Sorry but maybe I don't explain well. 

I have not doubt about if the Scrum Master must attend to the Sprint Review. The Scrum Guide says clarly that Scrum Team must attend.

My doubt is about the responsibility for the Scrum Master in this meeting, I suppose that the Scrum Muster main responsibility is:

• Ensure the Sprint Review is not only a demonstration. 
  • Ensure the attendees understand the meeting and Scrum.

Maybe there are other responsibilities or maybe I am confused so I want to contrast with the comunity what they believe about this.

Thanks.

01:33 pm April 10, 2018

The Scrum Guide doesn't say much about the Scrum Master's role at the Sprint Review. It does say that the Scrum Master makes sure that the event takes place, that all attendees understand its purpose, and teaches everyone to keep the event to the timebox. This is very much the same responsibilities as the Scrum Master's role in the Daily Scrum, for example.

The Scrum Guide does list eight elements of the Sprint Review. None of these explicitly call out the Scrum Master. But is the Scrum Master interested in any of them? I would think so. I would think that the Scrum Master would be interested in how the team overcame problems encountered in the Sprint. The Scrum Master may also want to know about target and projected delivery dates to help the Product Owner if they are being overzealous or to help the Development Team optimize to meet dates. The Scrum Master probably also has interested in anticipated releases and the targets for those. The Scrum Master probably has some interest in the domain and business, so knowing more about the market and product usage can help communicate more effectively with both the Product Owner, the Development Team, and people outside he Scrum Team.

Something else to consider is that the Sprint Review is probably the largest event in the Sprint. It includes not only the Scrum Team, but also key stakeholders that the Product Owner invites. One of the responsibilities of the Scrum Master is to facilitate events as requested or needed. Since the Product Owner and the Development Team have roles to play, plus this is a large event, the need for a dedicated facilitator becomes even more important. In addition, some of the key stakeholders invited may not be familiar with Scrum and may need help understanding the Scrum framework.

The Scrum Guide isn't explicit about why the Scrum Master must be at the Sprint Review. Reflecting on who is attending the Sprint Review, what these people are doing, and what the responsibilities of the Scrum Master are lead to some compelling reasons for the Scrum Master to attend.

07:42 am April 11, 2018

Thank you Thomas!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.