Skip to main content

Remote teams - two Scrum Masters?

Last post 07:44 pm April 11, 2018 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
02:13 pm April 11, 2018

Hi,

I have a question. In my company we are working with remote teams.

The development is done in one country, the strategic part in our country and sometimes the client is also in another country. We are already trying to work Scrum since 3 years.

In the beginning the Project manager was also the Scrum master, facilitating meetings, coaching the team and supporting the Product Owner. This worked ok, although it took up a lot of the time of the Project manager. But the good thing was that most scrum masters really tried to coach the team, also the remote team, to become more self organised. There was trust, transparency and overall the process and roles were clear for everyone.

Now the company has decided to install te Scrum master at the location of the development team. This is of course good for the development team. But now we face some other challenges. The Scrum masters are for the most part only facilitating and arranging things for the development team. But now it is harder for the few developers in our country to connect with them. Also they have less experience with coaching the entire scrum team and supporting the product owner (this might also be a cultural thing, they are still very hierarchical so they really need the self-organising and open communication part).

Is it an option to install 2 Scrum masters. One with the remote team and one over here? So that the scrum master over here can do the teaching and coaching of the whole team (working together with the other scrum master) and support of the part of the team over here and the support of the product owner and stakeholders.

Or is it better to have 1 Scrum master and get an Agile coach to coach the entire team at once? Although I expect it to be difficult to train the remote Scrum master to improve his Agile skills because of the distance.

Thanks already for your input!

05:18 pm April 11, 2018

I've seen this both ways. Personally, I believe it depends on your company and what your teams need. It is better to have 1 SM per team but many companies do not subscribe to that. Most SM's that I know are over 2-3 teams. 

07:44 pm April 11, 2018

...the good thing was that most scrum masters really tried to coach the team, also the remote team, to become more self organised. There was trust, transparency and overall the process and roles were clear for everyone.

Now the company has decided to install te Scrum master at the location of the development team.

Why is the Scrum Master allowing the company to make such a decision? The role of Scrum Master entails being an organizational agile coach. That includes teaching the value of having empowered and self-organizing teams, which seems to have been demonstrated to some degree.

Or is it better to have 1 Scrum master and get an Agile coach to coach the entire team at once?

If the Scrum Master is not in a position to coach the enterprise, for whatever reason, then an alternative agile coaching capability may be required at least in the short term. There would have to be a company-wide remit for engagement.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.