Skip to main content

Division of the Tradional Project Manager in SCRUM roles

Last post 04:37 pm April 16, 2018 by Simon Mayer
6 replies
02:48 pm April 13, 2018

Hi guys.. 

I little help, please :)

Some scrum studies actually point that the tradional project manager has a lot of power and his power has to be divided. So they say that this power is divided by the scrum roles  (SM, PO, DEV TEAM). 

I'd like to know what you guys think about that vision, if its legit, and if makes sense to you. 

04:02 pm April 13, 2018

Hi Thiago,

Most company starts to transform only considering to give the PO role to PM with no doubt. The reason for that PM is a business oriented like PO. If the Agile mindset is realized by the organization purely, they already knows about each role has different responsibilities from each other independently even PM had no such tasks.Therefore, PM should think about SM is the solely person knows the new way and  there is no push a task more. There is a pulling by dev team.

Regards,

Ali Pala

09:05 pm April 13, 2018

there is no push a task more. There is a pulling by dev team.

That isn't entirely accurate, Ali.   The Product Owner does indeed "push" items to the Development Team during Sprint Planning, by priority, and according to the PO's belief in what the Dev Team is capable of for that sprint.   The Dev Team then assesses the PO "offer", and determines whether all or a portion of that offer is achievable based on guidance metrics like capacity and velocity.   Sometimes, there is a negotiation between the PO and the Dev Team around the final accepted PBI's for the sprint.

Regarding Thiago's original question, "power" is a very interesting term to use.   In my opinion, the responsibility of a traditional PM is shared among the 3 Scrum roles, but the Development Team is ultimately in control of how the work is estimated, accepted, and completed.

10:28 am April 14, 2018

The Product Owner does indeed "push" items to the Development Team during Sprint Planning, by priority, and according to the PO's belief in what the Dev Team is capable of for that sprint.   The Dev Team then assesses the PO "offer", and determines whether all or a portion of that offer is achievable based on guidance metrics like capacity and velocity.   Sometimes, there is a negotiation between the PO and the Dev Team around the final accepted PBI's for the sprint.

This is incorrect in several ways.

What you are describing as "push" is not "push". In a true push model, there is no discussion or offer. Push means that work (and often deadlines for completing that work) is forced upon the team doing the work. Scrum is a pull-in-batches model, where the batch is the Sprint Backlog that is agreed upon by both the Development Team and the Product Owner during Sprint Planning.

The Product Backlog is not ordered by priority. It is simply ordered. The word priority appears twice in the Scrum Guide - once to talk about changing the priority of a Backlog Item and once to talk about including "high priority process improvement" goals in the Sprint Goal. Although priority is one input, technical dependencies should also be considered as well as how much refinement has been done to the work.

I don't doubt that some organizations may run Sprint Planning in the way you describe, I would not recommend it. The Sprint Planning shouldn't be a negotiation, but a collaboration between the Product Owner and the Development Team.

11:50 am April 14, 2018

I think it's safe to say that the product backlog is ordered by priority, meaning: what is most important to develop first. And yes several factors play a part in prioritizing.

The scrum guide actually uses the term negotiation in sprint planning, but it is indeed most important that it is a collaborating effort. The dev team should also feel responsible for the added value and the po shouldn't try to push unrealistic forecasts to the team. I also prefer the term pulling over pushing, fwiw.

02:09 pm April 16, 2018

I just don't agree with this analogy. 

The nature of the tradional project management and the scrum are very different. I have the job to teach people in my organization. 

One director heard that the PM responsability (great input Timothy) are divided by the SCRUM roles, and people asked me to put this information on the educational material, and to corroborate with this line of thought. 

I just don't think that's the right way to teach, so I wanted you guys opinion if it's ok or not

04:37 pm April 16, 2018

Why did/does a project manager role exist in the organisation? Perhaps it's helpful to perform something like "5 whys" on that.

Once that is understood, maybe it is helpful to establish whether there is anything in Scrum that delivers any of the same outcomes, and what (not necessarily who) is essential for that to happen.

If you don't believe something is true, you probably shouldn't teach it, but you could facilitate for others to investigate and come to their own conclusions

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.