Skip to main content

Nexus Interdependencies

Last post 11:00 am April 20, 2018 by Ian Mitchell
5 replies
05:46 am April 18, 2018

I read somewhere that :-

There are many dependencies that arise between the work of multiple teams that collaborate to create a complete and “Done” Increment at least once every Sprint. These dependencies are related to:

• Requirements
  • Domain knowledge
  • Software and test artifacts

Is this correct and complete? If so, Can someone please help me understand in detail, using examples, the dependencies that may arise because of Requirements, Domain knowledge and Software and test artifacts?

One can be dependent on other team for some work that they need to do, so that it can be integrated together. In which of the above 3 buckets, can this dependency be placed in ?

10:47 pm April 18, 2018

First of all, what other dependencies do *you* think might exist between the work of multiple teams? Might there be dependencies upon certain engineering resources or scarce technical skills, for example?

03:31 am April 19, 2018

Thank you for your attention Ian. As mentioned in my post, I think that one team can be dependent on other for their work (output) so that can be integrated together. But i am not sure which of the above 3 categories it belongs to. 

If dependency upon engineering resource/tech skills can be instantiated as person in one team is waiting for another one for some technical help/inputs then I agree that there can be dependency upon engineering resources/tech skills. 

One more dependency that i can think of is, one team waiting for feature to be completed before they can start with their. Does that happen in real world ?

10:13 am April 19, 2018

I think that one team can be dependent on other for their work (output) so that can be integrated together. But i am not sure which of the above 3 categories it belongs to.

If this is a skills dependency then my suggestion would be domain knowledge, given that the Nexus Guide qualifies this to include "knowledge of various business and computer systems"

One more dependency that i can think of is, one team waiting for feature to be completed before they can start with their. Does that happen in real world ?

In so far as this dependency involves one team requiring as input the outputs of another, then this may be either:

- a software artifact dependency if the deliverables of one team are technically essential to another, or

- a requirements dependency, if one team is dependent upon the business outcomes or the learnings which arise from another team's work.

09:38 am April 20, 2018

This helps Ian. Thank you. Can you suggest some place where i can find more scenarios and examples. Please bear with my little experience with scaled agile frameworks. Just trying my best to develop deeper understanding. Thanks.

11:00 am April 20, 2018

You’re right to put the visualization and management of inter-team integration dependencies to the forefront of an agile scaling effort. My advice would be to study the book “The Nexus Framework for Scaling Scrum” which has recently been published.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.