Skip to main content

PSM 2- PMI-ACP Guide

Last post 02:53 am July 11, 2020 by Nikolay Gekht
10 replies
03:10 pm April 29, 2018

Hi All,

Wanted to start PSM 2 learning but the main challenge is there are not any sample tests out. Do you think that studying for PMI-ACP might help in this case, since it has hundreds of sample test questions?

Thank You!

08:13 pm April 30, 2018

Hi Mehrman,

found the PMI ACP much more easy than the PSM II and a lot of things are ask In the PMI ACP which are not required in scrum. It's more about agile development in a organisation than about pure scrum.

If you aware of that, it does not harm to answer some questions. But be careful, the quality of questions and answers may vary. 

Nils

08:40 pm April 30, 2018

Thank You, Nils. In terms of practicing the questions, what would you recommend me to do? I am really not a good test taker.

12:21 am May 1, 2018

Hi Mehman,

As Nils has written PSM 2 cannot be compatible with PMI ACP. In my mind PMI ACP, CSM and PSM 1 are in one line. PSM 2 is the next level. And (this is my mind) PSM 1 is much more difficult (and this automatically means that more valuable) than PMI-ACP and CSM.

12:58 am May 1, 2018

Thanks (Cox Sagolun) Orkhan but do you have any advice on study guide

07:49 am May 1, 2018

Hi Mehman,

I only know this online test:

https://www.thescrummaster.co.uk/assessments/professional-scrum-master-…

Maybe you should consider to take the Nexus assessment before PSM II. I am not sure about my exact topic of questions, but you should be familiar with scaling scrum and there is an open assessment ;)

That's the way I did it.

Nils

10:37 am May 1, 2018

Thank You Nils. This is really helpful!!!

10:37 am May 1, 2018

Actually I have seen their questions there are 6 of them. But I am glad you pointed out to start with Scaled first

07:26 am September 28, 2018

I recently used https://loorex.com test engine and must confess it is very comfortable to use. Here you can download for free http://onlinetestcentre.com/PMI-ACP.html and train your knowledge.

10:43 pm May 6, 2019

Alright now I can share my experience almost 1 year after. I got both PMI ACP & PSM 2 certified. I think PSM 2 is more rigorous compared to PMI ACP. However, naturally your brain gets tired when you have to go through 120 question when you take PMI ACP vs PSM 2 35 questions only. In over all I think they both are valuable. 

08:57 pm July 10, 2020

I found this question when I was preparing for my PMI-ACP exam and now I can share my experience. :-)

I am also, both PSM II and PMI-ACP certified. 

IMHO, PMI-ACP is way harder than PSM I.

For me, all you need to pass PSM I, is to be able to read and understand English. To tell the truth, I passed it after reading the Scrum Guide, trying an open scrum assessment once, and reading scrum guide again. A couple of hours at best. :-).

Unlike PSM I, PMI-ACP contains many situational questions, covers all domains and roles, as well as it requires basic knowledge of other methods such as XP, SAFe, or DA. And yep, you have to know it. It is a closed book exam. It took me about 20 days to prepare. Even after years of running Scrum, I had something new to learn. And yep, with 120 questions, it may be quite exhausting, especially for people who do not have a lot of real experience behind. 

PSM II is limited to scrum and does not go far outside of the Scrum Master role, but its situational questions are more tricky than in PMI-ACP. 

So, I would say that with situational questions, PMI-ACP is between PSM 1 and PSM 2, but closer to PSM 2. If we speak of coverage of various agile topics, PMI-ACP is way more demanding than PSM 2. 

I completely agree that https://www.thescrummaster.co.uk is the best source to prepare for PSM 2. After having the real experience, of course. 

As for PMI-ACP, Mike Griffiths's book and https://www.project-management-prepcast.com/ exam simulator are the best sources and are more than enough to prepare. I found simulator questions even more complex than those on the real exam. :-)

And, I agree again, PMI-ACP tests aren't very helpful to pass PSM 2. Moreover, they may hurt, there are quite a lot of things in scrum guide that do not match other Agile sources, especially when it takes to accountability and responsibility. PMI-ACP also refers a lot to hybrid approaches such as DA, and thinking "hybrid" may hurt passing PSM 2. 

I hope this helps those who will consider both certifications in the future and good luck to everybody in their Agile journey. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.