Skip to main content

How a manager should best help a team member asking for advice ?

Last post 12:11 pm May 7, 2018 by Filip Łukaszewski
7 replies
12:02 pm May 3, 2018

Hello,

In my company, I see some Subject Matter Experts (like senior dev ; senior architect...) having difficulties with their Dev Team and frustrated of not having their opinion respected. I wonder how best should the managers answer when asked for help in getting the other team members to consult with the SMEs in their areas of expertise.

Should the managers encourage the SMEs to enlist their Scrum Master's help in learning to become better mentor toward the more junior team member's ? (giving back the issue to the Scrum Master, but with a goal proposed by the manager = "learn to be a mentor" ?)

Should the managers just ask whether the SMEs had discused the issue with their other team member and their Scrum Master ? (giving a direct option for action, but without more guidance = "decide on your own what best you want to do" ?)

Curious to read from you !

Olivier

01:35 pm May 3, 2018

The first approach could be seen as putting the SM under inappropriate pressure. Goals for a Scrum Master’s coaching action or servant leadership function are not driven by management.

It would be better to encourage the SMEs to work with the Scrum Master, and also to inform the SM that an issue exists of which he or she might not be aware. Managers should support the SM in any way possible.

04:17 pm May 3, 2018

Ian, thank you very much for your insight.

I agree that the first one is putting pressure on the SM but it looks like an interesting way for the manager to lead the SME out of their confort zone and help them grow their own position.

I don't like so much my second option, exposing a poor servant-leadership posture of the manager. Just telling "talk to your pairs" is a very light help. Your option of having also a chat with the SM seems more interesting to me.

07:37 am May 4, 2018

Actually, as an ICF Coach, the first option seem more interesting to me than the second one.

The manager can propose to the managee to be coached on any subject.

The Scrum Master, as a coach (among its many postures) should have the skills to do it, if the manager AND the managee agree on the subject of the coaching (here : beeing a better mentor for the junior team-member). It is a classic tri-part contract.

A coach is responsible for the process of coaching, but the coachee is reponsible for the result.

So the manager is not putting so much pressure on the Scrum Master.

08:41 am May 4, 2018

So much focus on process, so little teamwork and interaction with the teams in question :)

01:16 pm May 4, 2018

+1 Filip

Are the teams meeting their Sprint Goals and their Sprint forecasts?   If not, is better SME collaboration within the team a possible experiment to try and improve the likelihood of the team delivering?

If the team is achieving their objectives, then perhaps this is not a true problem within the team, but more of the "lead" person feeling a bit slighted since Scrum doesn't identify separate roles within the Development Team?   Just speculating here, of course.

Perhaps there are other dynamics at play here?   As a Scrum Master, my first thought would be to look at the team dynamics, and see what can be done to improve team maturity and cohesiveness.   Patience is also a much-needed trait for a Scrum Master that I constantly need to be reminded of.   Sometimes, teams simply need to go through the Tuckman stages, and the symptoms can manifest themselves in many ways.

I would not advocate trying to force any type of process or interaction though.   It will resonate most strongly if any changes originate within the team, and not outside of it.   Make suggestions and observations if needed, but let the team find their way.

Good luck!

01:29 pm May 4, 2018

The question here is not how to deal with it as a Scrum Master, but as a manager of some Scrum Teams, trying to be a good agile leader :-)

12:11 pm May 7, 2018

I would then aim for "just ask whether the SMEs had discused the issue with their other team member and their Scrum Master ? (giving a direct option for action, but without more guidance = "decide on your own what best you want to do" ?)"

Why do you think that would be "exposing a poor servant-leadership posture of the manager. Just telling "talk to your pairs" is a very light help."? Discussing a matter and showing possible routes, even already know, is imho not a weak type of leadership.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.