Skip to main content

Calculate Product Changing Backlog Rate

Last post 01:27 pm May 14, 2018 by Timothy Baffa
5 replies
11:14 pm May 3, 2018

I am totally new to Agile methodology and learning it. I have seen lots of tutorials and videoes and all very helpful. So, I have one unanswered question from my existing study. The situation is like

In beginning, there were total 100 story points. As part of Sprint 1, 10 are completed this 90 points are still remaining but 10 additional points are added.This makes again 100 story points.

In sprint 2, 20 story points completed but no further additional in any of the sprints so total points become 80.

Again in Sprint 3, 15 story points are completed and this story points come down to 65 points.  and the cycle goes on. By burndown chart, we can estimate some values like:-

1. Team's average velocity is 15.

2. In 8 sprints total 120 story points will be covered.

3. To complete the work it will take around 7 sprints.

Unanswered question

4.  Product Backlog changing rate (My answer is 65 but I am not sure)

If someone can answer this and explain the way to calculate that will be very helpful. 

09:31 pm May 7, 2018

Since Backlog Changing Rate is an unfamiliar metric to me, perhaps you can explain it's value and how you arrived at your answer of 65?

11:56 am May 8, 2018

A burn-up rather than burn-down chart could potentially make the introduction of new work a bit more transparent.

01:19 pm May 8, 2018

I use JIRA tool for handling my Scrum boards. I like to use burn down chart for a sprint view. For a project view, I like to use a burn up chart, which provides forecast on the end date of the content. 

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of "changing rate". If you mean to the amount of content that is added, the burn up chart has a nice view of when content is being added. 

If you use JIRA, I also like to look on the EPIC burn down view, which provides very nice view on how much content was added each sprint and how much content was delivered. For example, I just finished 6 month project, and I could see that I had EPIC that doubled its story-point count in the first 2 sprints - this is because this EPIC was about distruptive technology change and the unknowns were revealed as we go (empirical process, right? :)). 

01:18 pm May 10, 2018

The way I came with the result as 65 is as follows:- 

Addition of all story points in backlog(100+100+85+...) divided by the number of possible sprints.

01:27 pm May 14, 2018

The way I came with the result as 65 is as follows:- 

Addition of all story points in backlog(100+100+85+...) divided by the number of possible sprints

Unsure what you mean by the number of possible sprints.   Are you trying to estimate the number of story points that may be completed through the conclusion of a number of sprints?

I am still unclear how you arrived at a number of 65, or what value you see in that metric.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.