Skip to main content

Passed PSM I - 97.5%

Last post 04:29 pm May 11, 2018 by Frank Eric de Waal
5 replies
02:18 pm May 6, 2018

I had this on my list of certs to get, but it remained on my list - in a backlog :) - until my job opened up an internal Scum Master test. I took the test and passed. I had some prior knowledge of Scrum which helped. (My job's test is easier than this test.) This was on Thursday.

I decided to revisit this certification and took the open assessments, scoring about 80% my first try. I thought this just might be possible with a bit of work. So I crammed. I bought a Udemy course available at https://www.udemy.com/scrum-certification/. It is about 3 hours long and contains a lot of valuable information and insight. It also has a lot of practice questions. Costs change for Udemy courses, this one was $19.99 when I bought it on Saturday morning (today is Sunday and it is now $14.99).

I took the open assessments again, and again, and again. I took them until I could pass 100% over and over again. The open assessments are easier than this test although I did notice a couple of questions come through that were almost identical to the open assessment questions.

I read and re-read the Scrum Guide (https://www.scrum.org/resources/scrum-guide).

I read some information about the exam that indicated it was harder than the open assessment (it is). So I searched for more sample questions and found http://mlapshin.com/index.php/scrum-quizzes/psm-learning-mode/. I took that test several times until I could pass with 100%. This test I think helped more with how the test worded and phrased some things, not with actually gaining answers to the questions. I don't think I got any questions on my exam that was present here. (My first score on this test was about 70%, I got tripped up by the wording). The difficulty level is pretty close I think to the actual test.

Some tips - pay attention to the wording. Accountable and Responsible mean two different things. DONE and Ready are not the same things. Read each word and understand what it is asking for. 

Keep things straight and simple in your head. If I say "8,15, 4, 3" and you don't know what that means, keep practicing. 

Sometimes what actually happens in the real world with Scrum and what Scrum suggests are not the same. We all know the CEO can overrule the product owner in real life; ideally, in Scrum, that wouldn't happen. Answer from the Ideal Scrum perspective. 

Do more than just read the Scrum guide, understand it. Understand what the words mean and understand how to rephrase it. Relate it back to your own experience with Scrum.

Some experience is beneficial to understanding. I am not saying you cannot pass with no experience, I am saying it is just more likely.

I took my test Saturday, two days after I decided to cram for it. I wouldn't recommend this if you have no experience with Agile or Scrum. Take a little more time to understand the material. You don't really have time to google the answers or dig through the Scrum guide to find the answers (unless you can answer most of the questions really fast), so if that is your plan, forget it. You have to know the stuff and have at least a basic understanding of how to apply it.

I missed two questions and my final score was 97.5%.

03:18 pm May 8, 2018

Congrats Joshua!

I am just a beginner, and working as a Test lead. I have not been part of Scrum team yet, but looking at the opportunities in the market I would like to deviate into this stream.

Can you pls advise if PSM is suitable for a Test lead and the procedure to approach the examination.

Thanks!

12:43 am May 9, 2018

In Scrum, there are no titles for the development team. A Test lead would be on the development team. I would suggest if you want to stay where you are at job wise expand your skills to become more versatile. Development team members in Scrum serve as developers and testers. You don't need to know how to do everything, but learn a programming language or learn some database skills. If you want to stay on the development team try the Professional Scrum Developer (PSD) exam. 

Other than that, try the PSM I. Personally, I would try the PSM I even if you wanted to stay on the development team. I don't know what the PSD exam is like, I just know that is the one they aim at development team members. Both may prove to help you get into Scrum, or they may not. With the current state of Purple Squirrel recruiters, who knows.

12:50 am May 10, 2018

Hi Joshua,

I have 4+ years of working in scrum teams. When i read scrum guide and gave open assessment i got 100%.

Not sure if the Q's from open would be in similar form (even rephrasing is fine) or would be totally different.

One of my friend said if u learn scrum guide and clear open assessment, it should be enough to crack 80% at PSM1.

What do you suggest ? Should i go ahead and get PSM1 done or you think scrum guide and open assessment's aren't enough?

05:03 pm May 10, 2018

I would at least try http://mlapshin.com/index.php/scrum-quizzes/psm-learning-mode/ first. If you can do good on that, I think you could do good on the PSM1. 

However, overpreparing is better than being underprepared, if you had to choose one. A little bit of extra study could give you the edge you need.

09:02 am May 11, 2018

Just passed the exam as well (85%!). After a training of two days.

Fully agree with Joshua: The open assessments are easier than this test although I did notice a couple of questions come through that were almost identical to the open assessment questions.

In the exam itself you have to read a lot (relatively long questions AND answers where you have to pick 2 or 3 proper answers instead of one.. This takes time as well…

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.