Skip to main content

Appropriate to use Kanban?

Last post 03:04 am May 22, 2018 by Boon Siang Tay
3 replies
12:35 pm May 18, 2018

Hello.  In reading books about Lean and Agile and DevOps they often refer to manufacturing type situations where work needs to go across the plant through a series of processes and assembly lines.  

I work in IT Infrastructure, but I think my situation is similar to a factory in that we have work that comes in (through tickets) that we then need to perform quickly and with high quality so that our customers (software development teams) can proceed with their work.  The tickets are for things like database administration, ordering and configuring new servers (virtual and physical), network requests (firewall, routing, load balancers), and Middleware and Cloud services.  

Today the teams are set up as silos with each department handling their requests independently using different processes and SLAs.  Most of the time the application teams need a bundle of requests to be done together.  For example, to build a new application they will likely need new servers, network, database and middleware work and today they need to create a bunch of tickets and wait, and they often get inconsistent results which require re-work.  

I'd like to bring people who can do these things together into a team to work together to fulfill these types of requests.  We can't do scrum since we don't have a product with a backlog that we can iterate against.  I also want them to get to know the application teams and to work closely with them instead of just sitting in their cubes waiting for tickets, especially given that tickets are often not the best way to communicate what's needed and why.  

Do you think Kanban is a good fit for this situation?

Also, if so, do you have any good books to recommend on Kanban for me to read as a manager?  I have plenty of books on Agile and Scrum but nothing on Kanban yet.  

04:14 pm May 18, 2018

Most of the time the application teams need a bundle of requests to be done together.  For example, to build a new application they will likely need new servers, network, database and middleware work and today they need to create a bunch of tickets and wait, and they often get inconsistent results which require re-work. 

That sounds like a product to me.

04:17 pm May 18, 2018

Yes, but it also sounds like it is a product that can and should be delivered within maybe one sprint... Unless doing such bundle takes more than a month.

03:04 am May 22, 2018

I'm currently reading these to learn about Kanban:

1. Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability by Daniel S. Vacanti

2. Agile Project Management with Kanban by Eric Brechner.

3. The Scrumban [R] Evolution by Ajay Reddy.

(4. Kanban by David J Andersion.  on my wishlist)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.