Skip to main content

How do Scrum Master coach New Product Owner in Scrum

Last post 02:21 pm May 22, 2018 by Curtis Slough
5 replies
05:19 pm May 19, 2018

Hi ever one,

I would like to know how scrum master coaches on below 2 scenarios.

I have 2 questions on Scrum Master coaching towards New Product Owner and New Scrum team.

1) How do Scrum Master coach a new Product Owner who joined in the Scrum team and he/she new to Agile world. What steps Scrum Master fallow

2) How do Scrum Master coach a new scrum team, formed newly and they do not know Scrum. What steps Scrum Master fallow

I really appreciate your help in this.

Thank you. Have a wonderful weekend.

09:25 am May 21, 2018

For the whole team, I would maybe try to do a 1 day Introduction To Scrum Workshop.

For the PO, later, I would ask if he has experience, if he has questions, if he has ideas how to work etc.

08:01 pm May 21, 2018

Really it is kind of hard to give advice for this without knowing a bit about their background. Is the PO a former project manager? What format of development has the Dev team been using? Are they familiar with User Stories at all? Has any of the dev team heard of Scrum? 

Even still, the best is to start with the basics like Filip said. Do an Into to Scrum workshop. Then setup weekly or biweekly Lunch and Learn sessions. The best thing is to be an evangelist for Scrum. Continue to encourage and talk about the benefits of Scrum and how it will help the Team and the organization. If you cannot see how Scrum would benefit them, you will not be able to get them on board.

08:46 pm May 21, 2018

Thank you Filip & Curtis.

The team is fallowing Scrum(2 weeks sprint cycle), PO is a former Project Manager. How about (Forming, Storming, Norming & Performing process) can teach in one day workshop?

04:28 am May 22, 2018

Hello everyone,

I absolutely agree with Filip's ideas. In addition, Scrum is based on an empiricism, hence a Scrum Master can reveal knowledge gaps gradually and work with PO systematically.

02:21 pm May 22, 2018

Sowmya, I think you can absolutely teach Forming, Storming, Norming, and Performing process in a 1 day workshop. You said the team is following scrum but what is their understanding level of Scrum? You can simply do the events and keep the pieces of Scrum but if you don't understand the benefit and overall point of scrum; you're just going through the motions. Scrum is full of events but at the core is the empirical process to always look back at what was done and inspect and adapt so going forward you can perform better and more efficiently.

For the PO, I would setup a Q & A session so you can get an understanding of where they are in their career and understanding. If the person is so project driven and has no care in the world for people, you may have some challenges ahead of you. Conversely, the person may have the agile mindset but never had the opportunity to work in a Scrum and Agile environment. Then it may be a very smooth transition and just explain what Scrum is about and what their role as the PO is. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.