Skip to main content

" Thanks for your application, we have liked your profile, but you don't have enough experience"

Last post 08:42 pm May 23, 2018 by Curtis Slough
1 reply
03:46 pm May 23, 2018

In the last five months this prashe is the mantra that I'm receiving back as feedback when I apply for a SM position.

My previous experience as a SM in a start up for one year and half, my PSMI certification, my courses, my studies, the many books that I'm reading, the events/meetup I'm partecipating in (with my only personal, economic effort ), my desire to create an important network around me,my love and passion for Scrum, my efforts to change my brain, helping it to modify its "command and control" system to a "servant leader" one, are not sufficient and the answer continues to be the same:

"you don't have enough experience" 

Sometimes the pain is so strong that I think to give up, but then I start making my mindfulness meditation and my face gets back smiling.

"Don't worry Antonio, something positive will happen, believe in yourself!" I say to myself and the "Art of Possible" that Geoff Watts explains in his book "Scrum Mastery" comes back in my mind.

In my personal restrospectives I reached this conclusion : the mantra is true, I don't have enough experience! but if none a company is giving me an opportunity I can create it by myself, as in the Maometto adage :-) 

Obviuosly I'm not the only one in this situation, many others newbie SMs are facing the same problem, the vicious circle starting anything.

So I imagined a sort of internship program, the possibility to flank totally for free a SM during one sprint and to repeat the experience for many others, moving across Europe (just becuase I live between Spain and Italy, but it's a concept that it could be replicate all over the world).

It could be the opportunity to discover several different Teams and their way using Scrum creating a network made by experienced SMs and companies helping novice ones to improve/create their own experience.

A Scrum journey, in "Around the World in Eighty Days" Phileas Fogg left for a bet, we will leave for our dreams.

Do you think it could be possible to find some SMs and companies available to give me/us this opportunity?

Antonio Fazio, dreamer and adventurer

08:42 pm May 23, 2018

You'd have to interview a few companies in your area and determine whether or not that would be possible. Personally, I think it's a great idea but I don't know how many companies would be okay having a random person obtaining in depth knowledge of their products only to be gone in a few weeks. 

Seems that you would be better off starting up a consulting firm and have your focus on hiring rookie scrum masters in addition to the tenured and experienced scrum masters. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.