Skip to main content

Product Owner involvement/knowldge in sprint execution

Last post 04:50 pm June 3, 2018 by Manjit Singh
7 replies
04:03 am May 29, 2018

Hi all,

I would like to know experts opinion about to what level a PO may be involved or may be well informed about the sprint execution (during the sprint) ?

Is PO supposed to see the progress in burn down and remaining efforts or some deep level of involvement/information is required?

06:46 pm May 29, 2018

Wouldn't you want the PO involved with the Sprint? Not to the point of hovering over the Dev Team's shoulders or anything but enough to know what is going on? Do you think it would hinder transparency if the PO does not see the progress and remaining sprint backlog items? 

08:43 pm May 29, 2018

Is PO supposed to see the progress in burn down and remaining efforts or some deep level of involvement/information is required?

Can you think of a reason why a Development Team might prefer transparency over progress to be restricted?

05:11 am May 30, 2018

Ian,

yes, transparency is one of the basis principles. I could not get your point " why a Development Team might prefer transparency over progress "

As Curtis said, it is good to know what is going on.

I just simply want to know how a PO can know "what is going on" in the sprint ? Is there any diversion from sprint goal or not.

10:39 am May 30, 2018

Isn't the point of the Daily Scrum for the Development Team to discuss progress towards the Sprint Goal and replan their work for the next 24 hours?  Can the Product Owner attend the Daily Scrum and listen, without disruption?   Is the adaptation of the Sprint Backlog transparent?  How is it made transparent?

How might the Product Owner stay up to date without violating trust with the Development Team?

FYI - Burn down charts are optional - the Development Team may choose another way to track their Sprint progress.

10:50 am May 30, 2018

if a particular story is deemed complete, then the team could show it to the PO... If not, then the PO is free to listen during Daily Scrums...

04:50 pm May 30, 2018

I guess I'm confused about your question. Do you want to know to what level the PO is allowed to be involved with the Sprint? Do you have a PO that is so heavily involved they are impeding the Dev Team and they need to step back? 

04:50 pm June 3, 2018

- attending daily scrum for reassurance (should not be required if development team and PO share a relationship of trust) 

- viewing the highly visible and real-time sprint backlog (can see the remaining work here)

- above all, trusting the development team for highlighting any adaptation to the sprint backlog that may impact the sprint goal negatively

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.