Skip to main content

Keeping a Development Team motivated in a WaterScrumFall environment?

Last post 03:28 pm July 7, 2018 by Filip Łukaszewski
6 replies
08:48 am June 29, 2018

I've recently joined a Scrum Team that has been handed a project in its development phase.  While there is no official BRD (because the company is 'Agile') there is a fixed expectation of the final product and performance is measured by progress towards that expectation, incremental value is not an expectation...and so on, I don't need to provide all the details, I'm sure you can imagine the situation. 

My question is, while I (and other various Scrum Masters, Agile Coaches and management) try to 'tackle' these issues, what are some techniques to help keep the Development Team motivated to continue working as part of a Scrum Team?  I'm finding it difficult to address individual Developer's questions/concerns, without saying "I understand your frustration, unfortunately this project is a WaterScrumFall project."

For developers new to Scrum and an Agile way of working, it's difficult to coach and teach Scrum, Agile/Lean, etc. when the very project they're working on is not prepared for it. What's a good approach here? (Just so it's clear, my question is about motivation within a transforming environment, not about how to settle with ScrumBut or how to transform an organisation.)

09:10 am June 29, 2018

In my experience, most developers are motivated by default. If they aren't motivated there is something that de-motivates them. I firmly believe the only way to sustainably keep motivation high is tackling the issues that demotivate the team.

Bear in mind, that these may not necessarily be the same things that you and the other Scrum Masters and Coaches are tackling. It might be something unrelated to the WaterScrumFall situation, or something that can be fixed within the confinements of your current system.

But ultimately, if the root causes are in the way you work, the way you work needs to change if you want motivated teams.

I recognise that some motivation can be achieved by an energetic Scrum Master (or developer, or PO, or ...) working with the team, sharing a positive outlook on things and being optimistic and such. But this isn't sustainable. If the impediments don't move, people will become demotivated again. Also, this approach quite literally drains energy from the "cheerleader".

09:18 am June 29, 2018

I'm finding it difficult to address individual Developer's questions/concerns, without saying "I understand your frustration, unfortunately this project is a WaterScrumFall project."

Maybe you should be honest with people that this is how you see it. If you pretend the situation is something other than what it is, you compromise your own integrity.

You can of course choose your words carefully, depending on the context.

It sounds like you have every intention of making things better, and you are working with seemingly smart people who recognise there are problems. Do the developers see what you are trying to do, and what do they think of that?

I've worked in multiple companies with problems; but it only became demotivating when I felt there was a culture of indifference to those problems. 

09:31 am June 29, 2018

Thanks, Julian, completely agree!

Thanks, Simon, completely agree! 

I've only just started (still going through inductions!) so too early to say, but that will certainly be my approach.  Cue the courage value!

03:19 pm June 29, 2018

Maybe you should be honest with people that this is how you see it.

Yes, I'd say that's the key thing. Even if you can achieve nothing else, you should be able to put transparency in place which exposes the current barriers to agile practice. For example, this might involve identifying the dependencies, impediments, and other deficits for release which teams are currently facing, and which stop them from observing a release-quality Definition of Done each Sprint.

Whether improvement occurs as a result of such transparency may be a matter of organizational will and sponsorship, and hence largely beyond your control.

08:24 pm June 29, 2018

You are not agile is basically it.

There is no such thing as waterfallscrum

03:28 pm July 7, 2018

fixed expectation of the final product and performance is measured by progress towards that expectation

I could argue around how fixed is the final product... Just because now and in forseable future not much is expected to change, it could still happen that you either run into an unexpected situation, of provoke it yourself (by doing Sprint Review and showing that final expectation might require changing due to changed environment). Therefore, as mentioned already, be honest with the team, and also show that sprinting might still make sense.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.