Skip to main content

Sprint Review - budget discussion

Last post 09:56 pm July 14, 2018 by Simon Mayer
2 replies
08:42 pm July 14, 2018

In one Sprint Retrospective, a stakeholder raised a problem about budget. He commented some difficulties with the product and market. This provoked a dispute between us.

In order to gain some focus and calm, I asked for a short break. Also, I tried coaching about focus on deliver high value the next Sprints.

What would you have done in a situation like that?

09:24 pm July 14, 2018

Why are your stakeholders in the Sprint Retrospective - this event is for the Scrum Team?  And what is your role?

Shouldn't stakeholders be discussing this at the Sprint Review?  It might be best to deal with this stakeholder 1:1 to understand their concern with budget.

09:56 pm July 14, 2018

Why are your stakeholders in the Sprint Retrospective - this event is for the Scrum Team?  And what is your role?

I agreed with Chris, but I think this may have been a typo. The thread title does refer to the Sprint Review.

a stakeholder raised a problem about budget. He commented some difficulties with the product and market.

In my opinion, it's generally positive if steakholders are engaged enough to raise concerns. The best next course of action depends a lot on whether the comment is relevant to the product being developed, and whether having this information will be useful in terms of the team making good decisions in the future.

This provoked a dispute between us.

I assume from your PSM I qualification that you are the Scrum Master. Please correct me if that's not the case.

What was the actual dispute? What did the Product Owner say and do?

Did you discuss this during the Sprint Retrospective? Did the Scrum Team feel this comment was helpful? Did they feel the comment and the way it was given and received were in alignment with the Scrum Values? 

In order to gain some focus and calm, I asked for a short break. Also, I tried coaching about focus on deliver high value the next Sprints.

This possibly helped, but could it perhaps have stifled an important discussion? Could your actions have reduced the engagement of stakeholders in the future? Have you asked the Scrum Team and the stakeholders present how they felt about your actions? 

Do you feel your Sprint Reviews achieve the intended Inspection & Adaptation, based on what is written in the Scrum Guide?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.