Skip to main content

CSM Certification Link. ? or CSM is now PSM.

Last post 11:52 am November 3, 2023 by Eden Wheeler
6 replies
01:51 pm July 15, 2018

I want to take up CSM Certiication but now it Scrum.org I do not see the certification link. Is CSM is now PSM.

so we need to take PSM as CSM is not in the Scrum.org assessment list ? please confirm ?

06:16 pm July 16, 2018

Hello Kumaran,

Scrum.org and the Scrum Alliance are the only two globally- and industry-recognized certifying bodies for Scrum. We are separate organizations with different leadership, missions, focus, and approaches. A few of the key differences can be seen in our certifications and courses. 

Differences in the certifications:

• PSM I (through Scrum.org) requires that a student demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of Scrum through a rigorous assessment. PSM I certification is detached from the course. It is not proof of attendance, but is rather proof of Scrum knowledge. The PSM I and the PSM II assessments and corresponding certifications do not require attendance in a Scrum.org class. However, certification is not guaranteed just for taking the online test. Unlike other Scrum certifications that require only class attendance, Scrum.org certification requires a minimum score of 85% on our Professional-Level Assessments. This gives Scrum.org certification greater value in the marketplace, so people know that Scrum.org certificate holders (PSM, PSPO, PSD, SPS) have earned their credentials through deep understanding of the framework. Scrum.org certificates are lifelong, and do not require any additional payments or renewals.
  • CSM (through the Scrum Alliance) requires a student attend a course through the Scrum Alliance and then take an “exam” in which the passing score needed is only 69%. This certification is little more than a certificate of attendance, and requires credential holders to pay renewal fees every two years in order to keep their certifications active.

CSM certifications are not recognized as PSM I certifications, and vice versa. If you would like to earn your PSM I credential, you may purchase an attempt on our website. If you would like us to provide you with links to free online study resources, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Differences in the courses:

• Scrum.org creates and maintains standardized curriculum, context and depth for all Professional Scrum courses and selects only the most qualified instructors to deliver them. Each instructor may have his or her individual experiences and areas of expertise, but all students learn the same core course content. This improves a student's ability to pass the Professional Scrum assessments and apply Scrum in their workplaces. You can be confident in the quality and value the training will provide. Those who attend a Scrum.org course will also receive a complementary attempt one at the corresponding Professional-Level Assessment for certification, and are eligible to qualify for a free retake.
  • The Scrum Alliance does not have any standardization for its courses or content. The course materials are created by the individual trainers, and are limited by that particular trainer's experience and opinion. Attendance in a Scrum Alliance course is required for earning a CSM, CSPO or CSD certification.

Detailed information regarding the types of courses we offer, their intended audience, and recommended prerequisites can be found on our Courses page. If you'd like to see a list of open public classes in your area, please navigate to our Course Finder page, where you can filter by course type, location, etc.

01:06 pm July 12, 2023

If I have certifications for PSM I,  PSM II and SFC   do I need to take CSM?

02:01 pm July 13, 2023

You will have to decide what is best for you and your situation.

I will offer that after a number of years of paying the fees and renewing my CSM, I have decided to let mine expire. Apart from being my first Scrum certification and being my gateway to other learning and development, CSM has offered me little value over the years. For me, Professional Scrum and associated certification has been far more valuable. 

CSM, is easier to achieve. Take the 2 day class and pass a lightweight course validation test. As mentioned above it is essentially a certificate of participation.

As a hiring manager, I prefer candidates to have Scrum.org certs, and of course experience. Beyond my own biases, I do see a mindset and approach difference between those who only have CSM and those who have studied Professional Scrum.

Curious how others feel about this.

02:46 pm July 13, 2023

I also have decided to let my CSM lapse.  I didn't see any benefit to renewing it.  I can still study and take courses if I want but I am not required to do so in order to continue a certification.  

I value all of the certifications I have received from Scrum.org much more because they required me to show my knowledge of a subject instead of remembering (or finding in the notes) the information I received in a class. I got all of my certifications for my own benefit not as an aid to getting a job.  I used them to help validate to myself that I understood the subject matter.

However, I still see more job postings asking for the Certified Scrum Master certification than I do for the Professional Scrum Master one.  I also prefer to hire people with the Scrum.org certifications over the Scrum Alliance ones but that doesn't mean I would turn away someone that had the them.  I prefer to hire people with knowledge and the ability to explain the reasons for what they teach than someone with a bunch of certifications.

09:23 pm July 13, 2023

Any certificate which is asking the professional practitioner for "renewal" in exchange of money(and quiet a significant amount money) is not a certificate. Its a scum .

Nuff said to avoid trouble.

11:52 am November 3, 2023

Hello,

Yes, it seems that the CSM (Certified ScrumMaster) certification is not offered by Scrum.org; instead, they provide the PSM (Professional Scrum Master) certification. If you're looking to get certified through Scrum.org, you should pursue the PSM certification. Confirming this information and ensuring the most up-to-date details on certification options with Scrum.org would be advisable.

And you can also check this: 

https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-certifications/sap hybris trainingprofessional-scrum-master-assessments/

I hope this will help you.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.