2005, Reporting Scrum Project Progress to Executive Management through Metrics

Last post 12:59 pm September 11, 2019
by Pradeep Bhatt
4 replies
Author

I've read over numerous threads here that state metrics don't provide the richness of the value delivered to the clients and they are used for vanity purposes.  I have seen, in a couple of threads the mention of executive dashboards which lead me to search for the data backing them up and their use with senior executives.  What I found was a 2005, Reporting Scrum Project Progress to Executive Management through Metrics (http://www.danube.com/docs/Scrum_Metrics_for_Management.pdf) which details the metrics one could provide to management.

Is this still valid based on Agile / Scrum here in 2018 or has this been superseded or dropped?  Does a template of this exist today?  Is anyone using this to share high level tracking?  I'm assuming this was built in Excel.

Thanks

08:16 pm July 17, 2018

Metrics are not the enemy; rather we very often face a problem of metrics being:

- used in lieu of demonstrated value or a clear understanding of it

- used in lieu of (or mistaken for) transparency

- used to avoid directly engaging with production teams and their environment

- subject to delay during their gathering, any actionable information they may contain thereby being rendered untimely

- filtered or put through lenses which introduce unintentional bias, or otherwise strip them of valuable information

- selected for vanity purposes

Executive dashboards are notorious for exhibiting each of these dysfunctions, but that doesn’t have to be the case as they  can be avoided with care.

02:11 pm July 18, 2018

I appreciate the comments Ian however I don't see where you were able to answer my questions.

08:02 am September 11, 2019

Were you able to find answer to this?

08:02 am September 11, 2019

Jim, Were you able to find an answer to this?