Skip to main content

For story esstimation story points and hours both are necessary to put by the developer?

Last post 02:39 pm August 7, 2018 by RIDVAN AKCICEK
6 replies
04:14 pm July 29, 2018

06:59 pm July 29, 2018

As the scrum guide states:

The Development Team is responsible for all estimates. The Product Owner may influence the Development Team by helping it understand and select trade-offs, but the people who will perform the work make the final estimate.

Also, story points represent the overall effort of implementing a product backlog item:

...story points and hours both...

Are your teams estimating in hours and story points separately?

06:48 am July 30, 2018

Most teams I know of use story points. Some use other measures.

Most teams don't use a combination of time and story points, but if the team find it helpful, they could for instance estimate product backlog items in story points, then when planning their work, estimate various subtasks in hours.

But the main thing to remember is the development team doing the work should make the estimate

06:35 pm July 30, 2018

Estimation could also take the form of:

- refining items to more or less equivalent size, and then gauging Sprint capacity in terms of the number which are likely to be accommodated

- qualitative assessments such as t-shirt sizing, and then gauging Sprint capacity by considering the work in aggregate.

07:00 am August 1, 2018

Simon Mayer

I am new here so I have confusion please bear with me.

My concern is this, should the development team needs to put both story points and the estimated hours or just one estimation statics (story points) is enough.

if story points are enough and developer not putting the hours at all then there is a need to log the spend time in the JIRA?

Right now developers put the story points on the story but, they are logging the time too is it right or wrong?

Please make it clear to me.

Thank you!

12:16 pm August 1, 2018

No, you don’t use points and hours as a combo for estimation. They are two different things.

Right now developers put the story points on the story but, they are logging the time too is it right or wrong?

I know what you are asking here, and it depends. It is neither right or wrong.

Because management wants to know how much each sprint costs probably logging time is appropriate.

It helps you manage capacity as well to a small degree. I am a big advocate of logging time to tasks. A % of Scrum masters and Scrum teams hate it because it’s an extra step for them to do at the end of the day. They also feel like they are being watched at a granular level.

So, to give you an example I use Jira to. I use points for story estimation, but I have time tracking on in my configuration, so they can log time. However, I can choose to have my burndown to either use Points or I can use time logged. It gets a little more detailed than that but that’s a short version.

Just remember Velocity (arbitrary story points)  does not equal capacity (hours logged). Two different things.

10:46 am August 7, 2018

So, to give you an example I use Jira to. I use points for story estimation, but I have time tracking on in my configuration, so they can log time. However, I can choose to have my burndown to either use Points or I can use time logged. It gets a little more detailed than that but that’s a short version.

Just remember Velocity (arbitrary story points)  does not equal capacity (hours logged). Two different things.

We are using same method with lots of Scrum Team. +1

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.