Skip to main content

Values of Scrum vs Trust

Last post 06:27 pm August 16, 2018 by Daniel Paulo de Assis
4 replies
12:41 pm August 8, 2018

The Scrum Guide says the following statement, below:

"When the values of commitment, courage, focus, openness and respect are embodied and lived by the Scrum Team, the Scrum pillars of transparency, inspection, and adaptation come to life and build trust for everyone"

However i have a doubt over it.

Is represented "the trust" in all and each one of the five values of Scrum (commitment, courage, focus, openness and respect) ?

03:08 pm August 8, 2018

Is represented "the trust" in all and each one of the five values of Scrum (commitment, courage, focus, openness and respect) ?

It can be, in so far as trust may then stand a chance of being earned.

09:48 pm August 8, 2018

David - A good book to check out is the 5 Dysfunctions of a Team, by Patrick Lencioni.  The first dysfunction is 'absence of trust'.  For trust to take shape within a team, people have to show that they are vulnerable.  Vulnerable people share personal information with one another. 

How might being vulnerable take courageOpenness to sharing personal information?  How might a culture of respect within the team help build trust?  Commitment to being part of the team?

Hope this helps,

Chris

10:40 pm August 8, 2018

Hi David,

Nice question! It really got me thinking.

In this blog post, Gunther Verheyen talks about the Scrum Values, and gives multiple examples of how each one may manifest itself.

In my opinion, four of those paragraphs about the values give at least one example of that value that I can link to trust. But for one of the values (for now, I won't say which), I also struggle to make a convincing case for its relationship with trust.

Nevertheless, if in my place of work, if we were to lose that particular value, my expectation is that trust would evaporate very quickly. Although I cannot eloquently explain why, I think trust becomes harder (perhaps impossible) in an organization if any one of those values is missing.

06:21 pm August 16, 2018

@Simon Mayer tks for this blog post indication

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.