Skip to main content

why backlog refinement is an activity in scrum and not an event?

Last post 08:32 pm August 29, 2018 by Simon Mayer
3 replies
09:19 am August 29, 2018

Hi Folks,

I am just wondering, why backlog refinement is an activity in scrum and not a event? 

My logic is, the focus of a sprint is the sprint goal. In backlog refinement you talk about future state which can change. More-over

it's not a time-boxed activity. We generally say to have 10% capacity allocated. That's my reasoning. Happy to have your views on same.

Thanks,

Beenish

10:49 am August 29, 2018

Refinement can he handled as an event if a team thinks that would be best. It just wouldn’t be an event prescribed by the Scrum framework.

In Nexus however, Product Backlog Refinement must be handled as an event.

What are your thoughts on why it is acceptable to manage refinement as an ongoing activity with a single Scrum Team, while that comparitively informal arrangement becomes less satisfactory at a Nexus level?

11:02 am August 29, 2018

Hi,

My logic will be, in single team the nature of complexity is less. It is better to have such a collabaration in an 

informal way when subjected to a single team.

If we talk about Nexus, 3-9 teams are involved. When more then one team is involved, more dependencies

and complexity comes into existence. Secondly it will make integration work difficult, if dependencies are

not mapped out correctly. Backlog refinement is a perfect opportunity when PBI's are detailed and dependencies

are mapped out. If treated as a formal event, this can be achieved better i feel.

Thanks,

Beenish

08:32 pm August 29, 2018

It can be constraining to treat refinement as an event.

As it's common practice to schedule "Refinement" as a meeting in the calendars of the whole Scrum Team, it may be that refinement is seen as a noun, and not a verb; an event, and not an activity. That can be psychologically limiting to the self-organization of a Scrum Team.

Barry Overeem wrote a useful blog post about refinement: https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/myth-14-refinement-required-meetin…

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.