Skip to main content

Well ... I'm a bit "shocked"...

Last post 12:52 pm September 7, 2018 by Lars Devocht
3 replies
12:27 pm September 5, 2018

I'm here for a few days now as an absolvent of an agile-projectmanagement course with maintopic on Scrum.

Passed the final test with the full 100% and so my lecturer told me to keep on working and make the PSM1 certificate.

Therefore I studied the scrum guide aswell as I also did some of those open assessments where I reached the 100% aswell.

So i decided to give the PSM1 a try and got my key.

But in the test I realized: Those assessments are WAY beyond the level u need to finish the certificate successful.

There are many questions that do not appear in the Scrum Open or directly in the Scrum Guide.

It's not that I want to blame anyone for my failure - more a small hint: Please do yourself a favour and raise the niveau of the Assessments - it's a bit "illusioning" to reach the 100% mark there, realizing you reached and understood not even half of the knowledge you need for the certificates.

I will give it a second try in a few days ... now I'm prepared for this ;)

//MH

08:19 pm September 6, 2018

Hi Michael,

I don't know if the necessary knowledge on PSM1 is more different compared to PSPO1 that I passed several weeks ago. True is that knowing the open assessment questions by 100% is not sufficient. There are several tough nuts on crucial subjects in the real assessment which are not addressed fully by the open assessment or the Scrum Guide.

The key for passing though the questions that are not addressed by the Scrum training or the Scrum Guide is having some background knowledge on agile subjects, hands-on knowledge on business organizations and pragmatic thinking like a SM or PO.I don't know how far those points are addressed by the additional literature suggested by your trainer or the community here, because I didn't read it.

Having knowledge on the side subjects and a fresh head (forget everything about your standard project manager company role) should lead to success within several hours, not days or weeks.

//MS

08:51 pm September 6, 2018

Hi Manuel,

It's good that you decided to go for an additional qualification, but it sounds like you needed to do more to prepare for the exam. Having the certificate is nice, but gaining the knowledge and using the exam to measure your own progress can be much more satisfying.

There's a whole page of suggested material for preparing for the exam: https://www.scrum.org/resources/suggested-reading-professional-scrum-ma…

Even if you don't need all of this to pass, it's a good way to boost your knowledge, and I'd particularly recommend Scrum: A Pocket Guide by Gunther Verheyen.

12:52 pm September 7, 2018

Hi Manuel,

Often I read about the "5 x in a row 100% Open Assessment" hint.  The Open doesn't cover the complete knowledge to master and gives hints about some gaps in your knowledge and is to be used as such.  And when studying i try to imagine how the question could be formulated with the given the examples. It's about knowing the question format.

Also, after some repeating, say, as an example 10 times on the same day, there is a memorization effect that leads faster the 100% result. That doesn't necessarily mean that you master the material better. So I believe it could give a false impression. When that hint is given... almost never is this aspect highlighted.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.