Skip to main content

User Stories or List of Functions, Classes, etc - Migration/Conversion Projects

Last post 07:24 am September 26, 2018 by Simon Mayer
3 replies
08:30 pm September 25, 2018

I have a project to migrate one application to a new platform (Pivotal)  so it seems like a lot of the code can be just copy/Pasted

but some will need to be rewritten. 

I am trying to figure out, what is the best approach to analyze and plan the sprints/work .

Should I try to write user stories for the whole application and use that 

Should we just use a list of the functions, classes, etc ... and focus on that to plan the sprints (as tech stories maybe?) 

Would like to know if someone has done this kind of projects and what approach was followed/recommend ?

11:39 pm September 25, 2018

I would suggest writing user stories based on features you want to build. The development team can then estimate each feature based on the effort involved and how much they may be able to use of the existing code/logic.

I'm currently working on this kind of project (migrating software to a new platform). We're writing user stories as features, the business users know what kind of functionality they expect, but the development team are given the freedom to build the functionality in the way they think is best (which may be different from the original platform).

Hope that helps!

05:07 am September 26, 2018

Which way would best help the Product Owner to maximize and account for product value?

07:24 am September 26, 2018

What is the motivation for moving to this new platform? What is the earliest opportunity you have to verify this hypothesis is correct?

There is a lot of value in breaking down work in such a way to make it possible to validate assumptions very early on.

There may or may not be certainty that the migration is the right thing to do now, but it's not uncommon for people to lose faith in such projects if it takes a long time and it stands in the way of higher value opportunities.

Constant delivery of measurable value is the easiest way to make the right decisions possible.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.