Skip to main content

Sprint Length: In Which scrum even, sprint length is decided

Last post 07:57 pm October 8, 2018 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
05:11 am October 7, 2018

I have following queries:

• In which scrum event sprint length is decided
  • Once decided can it be changed?

as per Scrum guide, "Once a sprint begins, its duration cannot be shortened or lengthened". This mean if there is a ongoing sprint we can only change the length of the sprint which going to come next. Does that mean, the sprint length is decided in Sprint Retrospective event ?

08:02 am October 7, 2018

Once you are at Sprint Planning, the Sprint has already begun, and the length should already have been set. But in reality, I think it is reasonable to determine the length of the first Sprint during Sprint Planning.

Yes, discussions about Sprint length could take place at any time, but it's responsible (in most cases) to wait until the Sprint Retrospective to make the decision, because the change won't take effect until after the Sprint, and it is possible that more will be known at the end of the Sprint, that would influence whether it makes sense to make the change.

08:06 am October 7, 2018

Furthermore, in the past I've found it can be useful for the team to discuss the impact of the proposed change with stakeholders.

It could be that a different Sprint length results in more or fewer opportunities to Inspect and Adapt, and this is something that a healthy Scrum Team would probably want to ask its stakeholders about.

The Sprint Review could be a useful occasion to do this.

07:57 pm October 8, 2018

Once you start a Sprint, do not change it's duration. The length is a time box that helps with the transparency, inspect, adapt loops.  If you keep adjusting the length of a sprint during the sprint, how will you ever be able to determine the teams ability to deliver in any specific duration?  And with some teams, you may never get to the end of the sprint.

Best place in my opinion to decide on Sprint Length is at the very first Sprint Planning.  After that it is part of the Sprint Retrospective if any changes are suggested.  Just like any other suggestion, the pros and cons are discussed and a decision is made by the entire team.  However, my personal opinion/preference is that it needs to be an incredibly compelling reason to change the sprint duration. This tends to disrupt a lot of the cadence that a team will establish. And the effect of the change impacts will throw the team and stakeholders into some level of chaos as it adapts. And I strongly discourage any changes "for this sprint only".  It needs to be a long term change because the short term disruption is not worth the effort.  Again my opinion only.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.