Skip to main content

Product Owner Responsibility

Last post 07:33 pm October 25, 2018 by Denis Molan
4 replies
07:30 pm October 23, 2018

Hi Friends,

Could you please help me understand below line from Scrum Guide for Product Owner

• Optimizing the value of the work the Development Team performs

My question is what can product owner do to optimize development team's performance?

Thanks,

Ankit 

08:15 pm October 23, 2018

Optimizing the value of the work the Development Team performs

I believe what this santance means is that product owner has to prioritize the backlog in the way that brings most value to the stakeholders. He does this with constant feedback and communication. When backlog items are prioritized and top level priority items details enough for grooming, team provides even more details, backlog items split and estimates.

Hopefully this helps you out.

03:40 pm October 24, 2018

I see it a little bit different.  I coach my POs to order the backlog based on the items that deliver the most value to the user/company based on what we know right now.  It is a subtle difference that needs some explanation.

Consider that there is a set of stories that provide significant value to the company's annual goals.  But in the same backlog there are a set of stories that will provide value to the immediate work being done.  While both are have high priority how do you determine which one is higher?  It might be more prudent to provide the short term value while still being able to work on the long term.  If the stories are properly refined, it is quite possible to intermix the long term and short term stories in the backlog ordered based on the relative values between them and how that value is most important at the time you are doing refinement or planning. 

Also, remember that Scrum Guide was changed to use order instead of prioritize because priority is not always the best way to work.  It is intentionally vague on what order means because it will vary from company to company, team to team, time to time. You have to trust the PO to make the right decisions based on their knowledge and input from the stakeholders and dev team. 

12:50 pm October 25, 2018

In addition to what was said, the PO optimizes the work of the Dev Team by making sure the PO engages with the stakeholders throughout the process. If the PO brushes off the stakeholders or doesn't actively work to include them, the likelihood that the team is building what the stakeholders actually want is SUPER slim. 

07:33 pm October 25, 2018

I coach my POs to order the backlog based on the items that deliver the most value to the user/company based on what we know right now

Daniel, yes, in my response i assume that stakeholders knows already what brings the biggest value. If development is internal then yes for company long term value.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.