Skip to main content

PSM1 - Study exam question doubt

Last post 03:27 pm November 8, 2018 by Curtis Slough
4 replies
11:06 pm November 6, 2018

Hello all,

While studying to my PSM1 exam, I came across a question that confused me and I would like to ear your opinions. The question is:

Q: Each Scrum Team should have a Scrum Master and a Product Owner. This is true or false?

The option considered as valid is TRUE, and the reason why is focused on that even though a product owner or a scrum master can be present in more than one team at the same time, they are considered scrum team elements for each of those teams. I understand and agree with this vision, but I got my answer wrong because I focused on another point of view: If you focus on the word SHOULD, you can see it as a trick question and think that it's FALSE because: Each Scrum Team MUST have a Scrum Master and a Product Owner. Otherwise, it can not be called a Scrum team right? at most it's an adaptation of SCRUM concepts that are not true with the SCRUM guide.

what are your thoughts on that?

Regards,

Joao Cartaxo

05:31 pm November 7, 2018

Joao,

Did you get this prep question from Scrum.org, or another site?

08:18 pm November 7, 2018

English is not my native, so maybe I'm wrong. There is not only "should", but "should have" and definition that I found is: "used for saying what was the right thing to do", so right thing to do is to have SM and PO in each scrum team, if we assume that DT is a constant factor in every possible scenario.

10:09 pm November 7, 2018

@Timothy Baffa

I took the question from https://unbored.training/ I bought their exam simulator.

@Piotr Górajek

Thank you for your input. And picking your words: used for saying what was the right thing to do. The right thing to do and the MANDATORY thing to do are different things. And based on the guide, having a PO and a SC is Mandatory.

See it this way, the right thing to do in life is to save some money to be able to make it through rainy days, but you are not obligated to do so.

I understand that in a "real world situation", stating the question as it is presented would easily be interpreted as being true, because people take the right thing to do as in fact the thing that must be done, but in an exam question, how many times have we been fooled by the grammar and the strick meaning that is used to justify the trick questions?

My point is, that the question, analised in a pure gramatical way, is in fact false. 

03:27 pm November 8, 2018

I took the question from https://unbored.training/ I bought their exam simulator.

That's your problem right there. Stop using external simulators, they do not help, they cause more confusion. Use the practice exams on this site and simply read the suggested material. I mean, scrum.org is giving you ALL of the information you need to successfully pass the exam.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.