Skip to main content

Managing 3rd party clients

Last post 07:04 pm November 9, 2018 by Jeffri Abu Bakar
2 replies
03:55 pm November 9, 2018

I've joined an organisation that has a number of clients, some of which run waterfall due to the nature of their industry and in how work is signed off.

My organisation has adopted some agile principles where possible, but is still very much tied to time-boxed, back-to-back, right-to-left commitments for projects. This means that people are often overstretched as commitments have already been agreed (by business).

This 3rd party sign-off process takes time. Often work starts with requirements not fully defined (we are still talking monolithic BRD documents here).

So work starts, and yes, the requirements change (eventually gets signed off), impacting the time-boxed dev & test teams.

So I've followed agile principles in other organisations, and I want to promote agile and accept that requirements are going to change and it's ok to drop scope in order to achieve dates or move dates (not so easy with a 3rd party).

Moving to a true agile process is achievable, but I can only see this if the business buys into it and stops committing to finger-in-the-air dates.

Anyone got any tips in how I can influence business to change their approach?

06:55 pm November 9, 2018

My organisation has adopted some agile principles where possible

Why? Who actually wants the organization to become more agile? Does the MD or CEO want this? Are clients now demanding it?

07:04 pm November 9, 2018

Mr Cobb,

A clue to answering your question lies within the question itself,

how I can influence business to change their approach?

I'd suggest that you read up on Change Management, and in particular, the roles in change implementation. See What's the Difference Between a Change Agent and a Change Champion? E.g., it'll be very useful to have a Sponsor to help you with this.

Having said that, you'd want to first have a good understanding of the reasons things are the way they are, beyond what is obvious. Existing processes can embody implicit knowledge (i.e., not written down), and so it would be wise to find out about it (if it exists) rather than to simply attribute existing processes to inertia to change.

When it comes to implementing changes, it's useful to adopt the idea of a 'tempered radical' (see The Everyday Leadership of ‘Tempered Radicals’), especially the concept of 'small deviant actions'.

Finally, a quick word about the agile process. Have you considered Kanban? This is because Kanban is meant to allow

organizations to start with their existing workflow and drive evolutionary change

(https://www.agilealliance.org/glossary/kanban/)

Hope this helps!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.