Skip to main content

"Scrum Teams" questions in exams

Last post 09:54 pm January 30, 2019 by Jason Brewster
7 replies
05:43 am November 15, 2018

Hi All, 

I am preparing for the exams. I have just finished my first preparation quiz in "mlapshin.com". Based on the comments in the forum, these questions are more likely similar to the questions here. 

I have doubts about one question about multiple Scrum Teams:

Q: All the Scrum Teams working on the same product should have the same Sprint length.

Options: TRUE / FALSE

I answered as 'TRUE', but I was wrong, and the explanation is like below: 

False. Scrum does not require having aligned Sprints for multiple teams.

My questions regarding that are below: 

1) When the questions are related to multiple Scrum Teams in test, should I think about the NEXUS Guidance? 

2) Also, why is it False? My idea is that, the Scrum Teams should be align during development of the same product. Otherwise, they will not be able to combine their development effectively. Is that right? 

Thanks,

Best regards,

Mustafa Cetinel

09:38 pm November 15, 2018

Mustafa,

Similar sprint lengths may be desirable, especially from a Lean point of view (reduce variability/waste), but it isn't mandated in Scrum.

As long as the various teams can sync their progress at intervals that support the business, their actual sprint lengths may vary.   For example, a 2-week sprint team may sync work with a 4-week sprint team at a 4-week interval, or a 2-week sprint team may sync with a 3-week sprint team every 6 weeks.

09:58 pm November 15, 2018

Scrum does not require having aligned Sprints for multiple teams, but a Nexus would require sufficient alignment for a Nexus Sprint Goal to be observed.

10:13 pm November 15, 2018

For the PSM I exam, Nexus does not come into play.  Scaled approaches are not considered in any of those questions.  And in fact, you can have 2 Scrum teams working from the same backlog and Nexus suggests that the minimal be 3 teams. 

As @Timothy pointed out, as long as there is a point at which the teams can synchronize there is no need for matching sprint lengths.

And while this is also not pointed out in the Scrum Guide, the goal of Agile teams is to minimize the dependencies between them.  It is quite possible that you can have 2 Scrum teams working from the same Product Backlog where they do not need to sync because they are working on completely different features/problems.  As long as you have some kind of source control system to manage the code and help resolve conflicts, then there isn't an absolute need for the teams to sync their work.  (BTW, that concept might come up in the PSD exam if you choose to take it....just saying)

04:23 am November 16, 2018

I get it now.

Thanks a lot to all.

09:06 pm January 30, 2019

Hello,

One more question on the subject:

According to the Scrum Guide :

1 Product = 1 Backlog = 1 Product Owner

But how can a single person deal with 3 teams?

(x3 events, x3 complexity, x3 operational proximity), etc.)

How can he splits between in this example 3 teams working on the same product?

Let's say each team has a 2 weeks sprint. How can he participates to 3 scrum reviews?

The Nexus part is clear to me, but what Scrum says about this exactly?

I just don't get it...

Thanks,

J.

09:28 pm January 30, 2019

According to the Scrum Guide :

1 Product = 1 Backlog = 1 Product Owner

But how can a single person deal with 3 teams?

(x3 events, x3 complexity, x3 operational proximity), etc.)

If Scrum is being implemented well, shouldn't that person be dealing with one self-organizing group of teams?

Let's say each team has a 2 weeks sprint. How can he participates to 3 scrum reviews?

The Nexus part is clear to me, but what Scrum says about this exactly?

A Nexus Sprint Review replaces individual Scrum Team Sprint Reviews. Scrum itself doesn't make any prescription regarding the matter.

09:54 pm January 30, 2019

Thank you Ian. 100% clear as always ;)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.