Skip to main content

Team Recognization

Last post 08:08 pm January 14, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
09:43 am January 12, 2019

Recognizing particular team as Efficient which has reached 15%+ improvement over your target Velocity KPIs over 3+ sprints is correct ?

06:01 pm January 14, 2019

Balaraman, velocity should never be looked at as a KPI.   It is simply a planning metric for both the PO and the Development Team to use as they see fit.

Team recognition is always a good thing.   Meeting their Sprint Goal, completing sprint forecast, and successfully implementing improvements are just a few areas that would serve as good reasons for team recognition.

I'm not sure though about your reason for recognizing the team.   A metric improvement around productivity doesn't always indicate that the team is getting better in Scrum.   

Perhaps the team is getting more items done, but are they producing more value to the business?   Are they delighting their customers more?   Or are they just creating more "stuff"?

06:39 pm January 14, 2019

In addition to Timothy's worthy comments, if you reward and recognize a Development Team for improved velocity, how likely will point inflation and gaming of numbers be?

07:34 pm January 14, 2019

@Timothy and @Chris provide very good points that you should consider.  I'm going to give you a real life example.

I currently have 2 teams that have been together for most of a year.  In the beginning their estimation was up and down so their velocity was really variable.  Over time, they got more comfortable with the work they are doing, got better at estimating as a group and their estimates started to come together better.  At that same time, their velocity started to settle in to a pattern.  It did raise a little more after that as they got even better at refining.  All through this I also tracked the number of stories that they were completing.  It stayed almost flat all through the chaos associated to the velocity. 

As the others have said, rewarding velocity is not a good idea.  It is a metric based on estimates (i.e. guesses) and if rewarded there, it could easily be influenced by just estimating everything higher.  I'd suggest rewarding other things like accomplishing Sprint Goals consistently, positive feedback from the stakeholders on the increments delivered.  Tie the rewards to the value that they are delivering and not their ability to estimate.

08:08 pm January 14, 2019

Recognizing particular team as Efficient which has reached 15%+ improvement over your target Velocity KPIs over 3+ sprints is correct ?

It doesn’t say much about any improved release of value to stakeholders. Do you think it is likely to be correct?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.