Skip to main content

How to handle Prod support and Cloud development as One team in Cloud Infrastructure ?

Last post 03:37 pm January 16, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
11:42 am January 16, 2019

I am an SM in a cloud Infrastructure project. We have Production support and Cloud infrastructure development (Platform as service). So how do we lead our both projects simultaneously with one team ? (* we are not ready to split the team into two for Support and dev, want one team to handle both)

Right now we did a 50-50% split on both activities. So that Prod support is always handled and based on the capacity available take up the Cloud development too in Sprint. ( Prod support is in *Kanban framework and Cloud development in *Scrum Framework).

But the challenge is: what kind of Prod issue arises and say if it burns the whole sprint(2weeks) then what about the User stories of Cloud development committed? How do we handle both so that the "Sprint Goal" is not jeopardized any best solution to deal please suggest so that I can guide/provide my suggestion to the team?

12:54 pm January 16, 2019

How do we handle both so that the "Sprint Goal" is not jeopardized

What evidence do you have that Sprint Goals are indeed in jeopardy and that the delivery of value is consequently sub-optimal? What transparency have you and the Product Owner been able to put over the issue?

Do managers and stakeholders agree that the risk to Sprint Goals is a problem, and that the organization needs to change if the benefits from Scrum are to accrue?

03:37 pm January 16, 2019

TL;DR Ask your team how they want to do it. Try it and adjust if there are problems with the solution.

I like @Ian's answer.  Is it a problem or are you trying to solve something that hasn't occurred?  Why not let the team decide what they want to do, try it and then adjust if problems arise?  We could all tell you how we've done it but in the end, you have to come up with what works for your company.

If you REALLY want us to provide you a running dialog of what we have tried, I'm sure that we can all come up with something we've tried.  But everyone of us will end with "you need to find what works for your team."  I think you might get better results if you try something then come back to us with a question on how to solve a specific situation.  Then we can all offer suggestions on specific things which you will have to go back and experiment with.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.