Skip to main content

Less worst scenario in a Nexus ?

Last post 09:39 pm January 25, 2019 by Diarmaid Murphy
3 replies
12:20 pm January 24, 2019

Hello

We have a Nexus with 6 Scrum Teams. Each Dev Team is already "big", close to 8 or 9 people.

2 teams have a lot of dependencies in spite of refining the Product Backlog.

Should they have more time for Product Backlog Refinement (how much ; where to stop ?) in order to reduce the dependencies or is it better to merge the 2 Scrum Teams, creating a huge Dev Team of about 16 to 18 people ?

Any thoughts ?

01:33 pm January 24, 2019

I have limited scaled experience, but from where I sit, I'd say:

Should they have more time for Product Backlog Refinement (how much ; where to stop ?) in order to reduce the dependencies

I would say so. However the question I would be more interested in asking is: what dependencies are those that you cannot remove/fix after one or a couple of sprints worth of time? And are they feature teams or component teams?

or is it better to merge the 2 Scrum Teams, creating a huge Dev Team of about 16 to 18 people ?

I never recommend teams made of more than 10-12 people, and they're already too large! 

01:42 pm January 24, 2019

Would it be feasible to mix the two Teams for cross-functionality and still keep two teams? As Eugene mentioned, Feature Teams.

07:07 am January 25, 2019

What type of dependencies are they?

If you have skills dependencies then you may not have enough cross-functionality across the entire Nexus. You may need to take a hit on velocity for a few Sprints to train and upskill some people from all teams.

I wouldnt merge the team into a giant team, you could just end up with dependencies within the team and a relative decrease in velocity. But depends on the nature of the work. Smaller numbers of people work together more efficiently. It might be worth approaching from the opposite direction and asking, "if I split these 2 teams into 4 small teams, will it give me more flexibility to slice stories and eliminate dependencies". The smaller teams should also move faster once they settle.

Very difficult to say without details of the nature of the dependencies.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.