Skip to main content

Is backlog refinement actually analysis

Last post 04:33 pm February 5, 2019 by ben harmsen
3 replies
02:31 pm February 3, 2019

This is actually a rethorical question.

I know that the purpose of backlog refinement is to take upcoming PBIs, break them down into smaller items and have discussions with the development team to better understand the PBI before committing it to the sprint.

However, the very fact you are having these discussions and breakdown, does that mean you are in fact doing the bulk of the analysis for those PBIs prior to committing to a sprint and therefore, when committing to the sprint isn't most of the analysis work done?

07:30 pm February 4, 2019

...does that mean you are in fact doing the bulk of the analysis for those PBIs prior to committing to a sprint and therefore, when committing to the sprint isn't most of the analysis work done?

First I want to point out that you don't commit to a sprint. You forecast a body of work to be done during a sprint.  OK, got that off my chest.  

I would say that most of the analysis work is done but it is only based on what you know at that time.  Isn't it common to learn something new while doing work that could require further analysis?  

08:39 pm February 4, 2019

However, the very fact you are having these discussions and breakdown, does that mean you are in fact doing the bulk of the analysis for those PBIs prior to committing to a sprint and therefore, when committing to the sprint isn't most of the analysis work done?

Before work can be planned into a Sprint, it must be "ready" for Sprint Planning. Hence rather than trying to do the "bulk" of analysis, might it be better to ensure that just enough analysis - and design, for that matter - is conducted so Product Backlog items are brought into a "ready" state?

04:33 pm February 5, 2019

It depends:-)

If it adds value (and only then) then refine the PB

PB refinement:

If it adds value (and only then) then agree on a "definition of ready"

Two examples of possible aspects of "definition of ready":

1. It may for instance be of value if the DT has an estimate for the items towards the top of the PB at the start of Sprint Planning.

2. When several teams work on one and the same product at the same time, it is important to have enough transparency regarding dependencies so that teams can avoid/minimise/eliminate inter-team dependencies (Each DT pulls a set of PBIs as independent as possible from other sets)

In my experience PB refinement and "definition of ready" can help with WIP and over-all value flow. But there is a risk for false sense of 'being in control', wasting effort, expiry of estimations/dependencies. Remain empirical,  do as little as possible and as late as possible.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.