Skip to main content

How can the product owner give accurate times?

Last post 03:05 pm February 4, 2019 by Al Suabiee
3 replies
11:14 pm February 3, 2019

Good morning my peers...

I’m wondering: how can the product owner define some dates of the releases science he isn’t a developer or a system analyst?

I think the product owner MUST be a worked as a developer for at least 5 years in order to give accurate times

Do you agree with me?

12:08 am February 4, 2019

From what I understand, the product owner can use a combination of Velocity and Story Points to determine a release date.

The Product Backlog Items will each have an estimate of story points. Over the course of several sprints, the team will complete a certain number of Product Backlog Items, which will have a total number of Story Points for each Sprint. This can be averaged out over the number of Sprints. This is called the Velocity.

Once the Product Owner determines the functionality that they want in the release, they can use the Velocity of the team and the total remaining story points they want in the release to work out a date.

For example, say a team's velocity is 50 points. There are approximately 200 points of PBIs remaining that the Product Owner wants in the release. This will likely take 4 sprints (200/50=4). You then find the date that is 4 sprints in the future and that is your release date.

However because story points are an estimate, the PO may want to provide a range. E.g. instead of 4 sprints they may want to say 4-6 sprints.

The PO does not need any development experience to be able to do this.

Happy to be corrected by those with more experience, but this is my understanding.

05:24 am February 4, 2019

I’m wondering: how can the product owner define some dates of the releases science he isn’t a developer or a system analyst?

Shouldn’t a Product Owner understand that there will be an increment of release quality at least once per Sprint, and that he or she is expected to maximize the value obtained?

03:05 pm February 4, 2019

Ben Brumm thanks for nice example

Ian Mitchell thanks for answer question by question, and by the way, the expert scrum master always lead of help the development team by answering their questions by questions :)

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.