Skip to main content

"Kick start" after splitting an existing team in two

Last post 02:23 pm February 13, 2019 by Miriam Pohlmann
3 replies
07:42 am February 7, 2019

Dear all,

I am currently working as a Scrum Master in a team that has grown in size over the last year. There are now eight developers, one tester, one supporter, one PO and one Scrum Master in the team, which lead to a huge "communication-overhead". 

In most of the recent retrospectives we faced topics such as "how can we make sure everyone in the team stays informed" or "how can we divide responsibility equally among team members". There were also sub-groups building in the team.

In our last retrospective, I picked many of the action items we agreed upon in previous retrospectives and asked the team if they saw a connection between them. The team concluded that they were too many people and tasks were divided unequally. They decided to try to split the team in two. The team was also very concerned that this splitting would negatively affect their personal relationships. 

We are currently working on how to split the team and it seems like we are making good progress.

Now I was wondering how to “kick-start” the newly formed teams. They already know each other and Scrum (though freshening up some Scrum knowledge is probably not a bad idea) but I want them to identify with their new team. I also want to kick start with a motivational event to make them excited to work in this new group.

Any suggestions? I thought you would probably know some resources (links) or other advice regarding this topic J

Kind regards,

Miriam

11:15 am February 7, 2019

How confident is each team in its ability to meet a Sprint Goal, and to create a feature-complete increment of release quality?

If there are dependencies between teams, what is their agreed mechanism to make those dependencies transparent? How will they collaborate to resolve them?

06:16 pm February 9, 2019

Hey @Miriam P, maybe take a look at Atlassian's playbook (Atlassian is the creator of Jira). There are a bunch of plays/exercises that you can run with your teams to help them be healthy. 

https://www.atlassian.com/team-playbook/plays

Hope that can be helpful!

02:23 pm February 13, 2019

Hello Ian,

Thanks for the quick reply. I already read it but I only came around to answer just now.

The team decided not to split completely. One developer decided to leave the team and work on a different project within the company. That would have resulted in one team with only two software engineers. The team decided to split tasks within the team and have "focus" teams.

There are a lot of dependencies within this company. There have been for decades. We have several client teams working with one server team and they depend on each other quite often. This results in a lot of frustration on the client side but the server team doesn't wnat anything to change. They are happy the way it currently is.

The team decided to keep the dailies and retrospectives together but split up for refinement/ plannings. One member of the other "focus-team" will participate in the other team's planning in order to identify dependencies which should be solved together.

Hello Fatuma,

I will have a look at this playbook. It sounds interesting and we use Atlassian so it's a similar context. I am not yet sure, how the team will progress from hear.

Kind regards,

Miriam

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.