Skip to main content

Sprints for the Activities after Production Go Live - Enhancement , CRs and Defects during guarantee period

Last post 02:25 pm February 19, 2019 by Eugene M
3 replies
06:33 am February 14, 2019

Hello Guys,

I need some information on whether we need have sprint and sprint plans for the additional activities which are being performed after production go live.

As per my understanding about Agile Scrum, every work we do that should fall under Sprint. So for the activities after Production Go Live such as Enhancements , CRs and Defects during guarantee period should be considered in a sprints.

For Example:

My production deployment is completed in Sprint 6 or After 18 Weeks (Each Sprint 3 weeks) but customer has some CRs and Enhancement and the project scope has been changed. So in sprint plan I need to have additional sprint to cover the activities and I need to add additional sprints say Sprint 7,8 and consider the work in that sprints' plan.

Is my understanding is correct?

Thanks,

Amit

10:40 pm February 14, 2019

As per my understanding about Agile Scrum, every work we do that should fall under Sprint. So for the activities after Production Go Live such as Enhancements , CRs and Defects during guarantee period should be considered in a sprints.

Why wouldn't production-quality work be delivered every Sprint, and why wouldn't the Product Owner choose to release it?

My production deployment is completed in Sprint 6 or After 18 Weeks...

From your reading of the Scrum Guide, are you sure that you are Sprinting at all?

03:34 pm February 15, 2019

I think @Ian has some really good points that you need to consider. 

But as usual, I'm going to give my opinion also.

From the Scrum Guide section on the Product Backlog. Emphasis added by me.

The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product.

A Product Backlog is never complete. The earliest development of it lays out the initially known and best-understood requirements. The Product Backlog evolves as the product and the environment in which it will be used evolves. The Product Backlog is dynamic; it constantly changes to identify what the product needs to be appropriate, competitive, and useful. If a product exists, its Product Backlog also exists.

The Product Backlog lists all features, functions, requirements, enhancements, and fixes that constitute the changes to be made to the product in future releases.

So given those statements how do you feel that you should address your original question?

I will also point out the one statement I italicized instead of bolded. If the product delivered to a customer is in use and you are expected to support it in any way, then that Product Backlog and the Scrum Team involved will continue to work out of a Product Backlog per scrum until that product is no longer used.

02:25 pm February 19, 2019

As ever, very good points above.

This question has to be asked though: Amit, ever heard of SDLC?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.